Sore hocks and structural issues?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
I got a nz doe a few months ago. At first she only had a few pink scabs on her feet which I figured would heal by themself since I was keeping her in a solid floor cage, which was a mistake. She was fine for a while after that. She even had a litter but a bit after I weened her litter I saw that her sore hocks had gotten worse and that she was moving weird. She was sitting on her back toes instead of her hock and was dragging her back legs instead of hopping. Once I saw how bad it was me and mom started cleaning her legs, cause they got really dirty since she was bragging them, and we put her in a pen for 10-15 minutes to let her move more. I should note that since she had a litter she lost a lot of weight and she hasn’t gained much back even though I’ve been free feeding her pellets. She also has scabies which we are treating rn. She is currently about 1 kg less then she should be (previously about 3.7 kg currently about 2.6 kg). Her sore hocks have gotten a little better and are back to being pink scabs but while its also a bit better she is still moving weird/not moving much. Although she is getting worse and better constantly. My questions are if her problems are 1: something genetic, 2: solvable and if they are what would be the best solution and 3: in your opinions do you think it’s worth it to treat her considering everything and the time it would take. My mom is pretty solid on trying to save her but we will be traveling in 2-3 weeks for about 2 weeks which will make saving her even harder if we don't get her stable by then.
Conclusion, I don’t want to continue trying to save her for much longer but my mom still wants to and I want more opinions.
Thanks in advance for any help

Back