Something Is Off w/ My Pet Rabbit.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitDad

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Preparing to panic... Some of you read about my pet rabbit "Snack".
Yesterday afternoon I came in, was expecting the normal happy greeting & he just stayed under my bed.
His pellets were barely touched but he did eat some hay. Usually I fill / replace his water twice per day but the afternoon / evening feeding he had only used about half. That's not normal either.
He looks OK.
Bedtime came around & no rabbit. Generally he waits until we are settled in bed, the hops up to sleep against my back. Not last night!
This morning I sat on the floor talking to him... asking what his problem was. After at least ten minutes of coaxing he finally came out.
He wasn't his cheerful self. Usually he comes running as soon as I walk in.
I tried picking him up to set him on my lap & he wasn't having any part of that so I left him on the floor, just petting & talking to him.
I must have said the wrong thing as he left to go back under the bed.
Thinking his pellets might be stale, I replaced them. They are still untouched. He is however eating some (not all) his hay.
Tonight he didn't show up on the bed either.
Do rabbits get moody? Could he be sick?
If he's not back to happily hopping down the bunny trail by morning, he's visiting the doctor.
Oh... he also deposited a few "rabbit raisins" near his spot under the bed.
That's definitely not normal! From day one he's used a litter box and never had an accident.
The little guy has me worried. Usually he's extremely happy & active. Now he's just sitting under my bed.
Not even laying down as usual. Sitting like the Sphinx.
Anything I should check or do?

Update... Snack came out to say "Hi" when I got up this morning!
Not his normal cheerful self but an improvement.
He got a drink, looked at his pellets without eating any then layed down by his bowl.
I'll check on him more often than usual throughout the day with my fingers crossed.
If he continues to improve, I think the emergency has passed.

he sounds like he's developing a GI issue, the fact that he's still eating a bit is good, but not eating pellets is usually the first sign that something is off with the gut. Take him in sooner than later, with rabbits you really can't wait.
I called our vet early this morning. She said basically the same thing except that because I saw some improvement, give him until noon before bringing him in. One to see if there was further improvement and two she couldn't possibly see him until afternoon.
By then he was eating some pellets, not a lot but drinking his normal amount of water.
He was also more active. Greeting me as usual, just slightly slower.
I called back around noon, reported that to the vet. She wasn't alarmed & said it sounded as it was resolving itself.
Oh and that it's nothing I said or him being moody. LOL
By dinner time he was pretty much up to speed, & using his litter box again.
She said if he's not 100% by morning to bring him in.
She also reminded me of the time I brought her a guinea pig & spent over $100 on a fart.
Apparently I have a long history of panic attacks when my animals don't seem well.
Oh he's got a scrap chunk of wood he likes to chew on. He's back to messing with that too.
I'll post what happens next in the morning.

Update... Last night as I was going to bed "Snack" was laying in his litter box, which was rather odd.
Not much I can do in the middle of the night so I left him alone.
Somewhat cheating, I left the window open all night making it freezing in there.
Around 3:00 or so, Snack joined us on the bed, then layed in his usual spot.
He got up when I did, ate pellets... a bunch of pellets! Then sprawled out in the middle of the floor blocking traffic.
I sat on the floor with him & he immediately crawled up on my lap. That was a very good sign.
Other than not being a "racing rabbit" he appears normal.
I just got off the phone with the vet. Her guess was that he had an upset tummy, which could have resulted from a wide variety of reasons. Yet seems to be resolving itself.
She recommended I keep a close eye on him and check his litter box often to make sure he is leaving droppings. If lethargic or no droppings, bring him in.
Don't laugh but I've become quite attached to this stupid rabbit. I'd be devastated if anything happened to him.

I'm thrilled to report that Snack is eating, drinking & using his litter box normally.
He also ran up & greeted my foot with a kick Chuck Norris would be proud of, then ran off in the other direction indicating his desire for attention.
I layed on the bed and he jumped up as usual. I'm not ready for bed yet but I don't want to mess up his routine.
Bottom line, I think he's over whatever problem he had.
Thanks everybody!

Update... Last night as I was going to bed "Snack" was laying in his litter box, which was rather odd.
Not much I can do in the middle of the night so I left him alone.
Somewhat cheating, I left the window open all night making it freezing in there.
Around 3:00 or so, Snack joined us on the bed, then layed in his usual spot.
He got up when I did, ate pellets... a bunch of pellets! Then sprawled out in the middle of the floor blocking traffic.
I sat on the floor with him & he immediately crawled up on my lap. That was a very good sign.
Other than not being a "racing rabbit" he appears normal.
I just got off the phone with the vet. Her guess was that he had an upset tummy, which could have resulted from a wide variety of reasons. Yet seems to be resolving itself.
She recommended I keep a close eye on him and check his litter box often to make sure he is leaving droppings. If lethargic or no droppings, bring him in.
Don't laugh but I've become quite attached to this stupid rabbit. I'd be devastated if anything happened to him.
is it extra hot there lately? my guys just lay around in the heat--so do I though, so I can empathize...being indoors, I assume you have ac or something, but you know what they say about assumptions...

is it extra hot there lately? my guys just lay around in the heat--so do I though, so I can empathize...being indoors, I assume you have ac or something, but you know what they say about assumptions...
It's warmer than it has been but not in the house or barn. Both have heat & AC.
He's fine now, running around, playing as usual.

If he is moulting he could have fur / hair balls in his tummy from grooming himself. There are tricks for helping them pass that easier, but i don't have them here.
Here are the tricks:

Give him fresh or frozen pineapple, if he won't eat it add pineapple juice to his water half and half or less. The enzymes in pineapple will help break down the blockage. Canned and dried pineapple don't work.

Let him run and jump, a fenced lawn will motivate best, but even allowing him in a room he doesn't usually get to explore. This movement encourages the gut to start back up.

Feed him high fiber treats. Fresh Crab grass, black oil sunflower seeds, snap peas, etc. This will help push the blockage through

Here are the tricks:

Give him fresh or frozen pineapple, if he won't eat it add pineapple juice to his water half and half or less. The enzymes in pineapple will help break down the blockage. Canned and dried pineapple don't work.

Let him run and jump, a fenced lawn will motivate best, but even allowing him in a room he doesn't usually get to explore. This movement encourages the gut to start back up.

Feed him high fiber treats. Fresh Crab grass, black oil sunflower seeds, snap peas, etc. This will help push the blockage through
Sounds like excellent advice!
I assume that's also good for preventing problems.
I never imagined getting so attached to a rabbit. I never knew they had such distinct personalities. Every last one is different, but in good ways.
Pretty funny... While outside this morning a wild rabbit snuck past my dog... less than ten feet behind him & he didn't have a clue.

Sounds like excellent advice!
I assume that's also good for preventing problems.
Absolutely, but you do need to be careful about overfeeding; pineapple has a lot of sugar. Giving as treats on occasion is the better way to go. I give a bit of fresh pineapple when they are on sale at the store, and keep frozen on hand for emergencies- as well as cartons of juice.
One thing I forgot to mention, if you cut your own chunks don't give the rinds; they can be harmful.

For high fiber treats moderation depending on the food; sunflower has a lot of fat, etc. One thing I didn't realize until their first summer grazing outdoors is that it's possible to get obese off of fresh meadow and weeds; keep an eye on their waistline and reduce pellets if they gain too much.

Exercise, at least, can't be overindulged. And is adorable to watch!

PS: any hay that's good for horses is good for rabbits, (this little tidbit of knowledge makes it much easier to shop Craigslist for hay bales, and gives a resource if you want to plant a patch of yard for grazing)

Latest posts

Back