SOMEONE IS PLAYING WITH MY RABBITS

Help Support RabbitTalk:

Mero2305

Reaction score
SO...Someone thinks that the rocks I have in the water bowls to prevent my younger bunnies from drowning is unnecessary and can be thrown out and that it might be ok to come in the middle of the night and open my rabbit hutch and let the rabbits run around and have me running around in the cold early morning looking for a rabbit (or a corpse-or nothing-or just running around trying to catch them).
I mean I'm just a high school student that just turned 16 and breeds rabbits for fun, I also just so happen to be a Muslim girl that wears a hijab and live in a pretty white neighborhood (some of the people here are actually pretty nice tho but still not enough to feel comfortable). My ever so forgiving city girl mother says that the hutches might have been a raccoon, and the rocks she has nothing for that. she just might have forgotten that a raccoon would have eaten the rabbits and now at the beginning of Ramadan I now have to look for a good but still cheaper outdoor camera (please I really need some suggestions), and not to mention that the rabbit I just drove 4 hours going and coming with my mom and 3 siblings but had to leave before I could check her because the breeder was VERY rude and acting very sketchy. Oh wow, what do you know she has almost no hair on her front paws and one spot that is reflected onto her back paws. Now I have to continue my search for a good breeding or one that I can grow out. Honestly, I'm just so tired of looking for a rabbit, getting behind in schoolwork, finding one, pulling an all-nighter to get it done, and finding out it was not the best, and then repeating the entire thing all over again.

So anyways, I'm going to go eat because the sun just set and now the second day of Ramadan is over, but anyways happy Ramadan :D <br /><br /> __________Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:15 pm __________ <br /><br /> Also before anyone says this, with the way the hutch lock is, I can't add a lock. I will also add a picture of my setup tomorrow morning after I wake up to go check on them.

Zass

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to see the pic, I'm sure I can think of some way to lock them up.

Zass

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
The best choice would probably be to solidly fence in the entire area and then lock them all up well. I recommend privacy fencing.
In an exposed area where they can be easily seen and messed with, I'm afraid you will get continued harassment.
I wouldn't even bother with minimal efforts like putting a lock on one of those flimsy hutches. .
If you do put on a lock, someone might just pull the hutches out, or move a piece of your current fence.

Mero2305

Reaction score
Zass":34g3ilsf said:
The best choice would probably be to solidly fence in the entire area and then lock them all up well. I recommend privacy fencing.
In an exposed area where they can be easily seen and messed with, I'm afraid you will get continued harassment.
I wouldn't even bother with minimal efforts like putting a lock on one of those flimsy hutches. .
If you do put on a lock, someone might just pull the hutches out, or move a piece of your current fence.
Thing is, I’m still a teen and we’re my family is most likely going to move from where we are now (also one of the things we liked about this place how wide and spacious the yard is.
I will also admit that the hutch is crappy but my father got it as a gift for me and I’m just happy he remembered them honestly so I don’t want to disappoint him. Also they were expensive so that’s another reason.

ladysown":34g3ilsf said:
switch your latch out for something you can put a lock on. Seriously. With your set up people are just being jerky to you.

something like this might work.
https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/p/GG ... B4EALw_wcB
I was going to do something like that but I know if I had a lock the keys will be guaranteed to get lost if I had them.

ladysown

Reaction score
then you put the keys in two separate places or make extras right away. :)

Put on with your house key, hang one up inside a shed door. It's not hard to track keys if you want.

CanineWild

Reaction score
As someone who, especially at your age, chronically loses keys like nobody's business, maybe you'd have luck with combination locks? Some you can set yourself, so you wouldn't end up with a half dozen or more numbers to remember. If not, I highly recommend burying a spare under an innocent looking rock nearby, or giving a copy to a possibly more organized parent ;) Once it really becomes a habit though, it's easier to not lose them.

My thought though- since fences can be expensive, and you may also be moving, a possible screening idea may be to plant a bunch of climbing peas or something on what you have- makes it harder to see the rabbits, provides some extra shade, and depending on plant choice, maybe a snack or a bunny treat ;)

Sorry your having to deal with that - people can be terrible sometimes. Hopefully they'll just give up when it's not so easy to mess with your buns. Ramadan Mubarak to you :)

Preitler

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
First thing I would put there is an impossible to miss "Keep out! Private Property" sign, and of course some kind of lock. Even if it's just a screw driven into the door that blocks the latch for now.
Don't know what the laws in your area are about trespassing, but I guess there are some. Maybe you can borrow a wildlife camera if you don't have one, although they are not that expensive and really good to have anyway, just to know what wildlife is around. Knowing who you're dealing with, and have the right people talk to the right people calmly would be my first approach. I know I'm an optimist, but if it is someone with an interest in rabbits and not really bad intentions that could open up an opportunity.

A fence is a great thing to have, doesn't even have to be a permanent one, anything that makes entry more difficult makes people think (most anyway).

If it were me, as I tend to over engineer things, I would set up a motion detector with a flood light and some kind of acustic alarm, sensor shielded with cardboard so that it only goes off when someone is at the gate. Or a tripwire rigged to a keychain alarm. And of course the wildlife camera to see the reaction. I wouldn't go out in the night though, just turn on some lights in the house, no point in cornering someone. And watch the footage later.
A light alone would be a good idea anyway though.

I would think that things like that get boring quickly anyway, and a locked latch might be enough for now.

michaels4gardens

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
Sory you are having troubles,
I hope one of the sugestions above works for you.

"humans" still need a lot of work..
Unfortunately, for many people, childhood programming
still includes intolerance,and prejudice .

sarai

Reaction score
As someone who, especially at your age, chronically loses keys like nobody's business, maybe you'd have luck with combination locks? Some you can set yourself, so you wouldn't end up with a half dozen or more numbers to remember. If not, I highly recommend burying a spare under an innocent looking rock nearby, or giving a copy to a possibly more organized parent ;) Once it really becomes a habit though, it's easier to not lose them.

My thought though- since fences can be expensive, and you may also be moving, a possible screening idea may be to plant a bunch of climbing peas or something on what you have- makes it harder to see the rabbits, provides some extra shade, and depending on plant choice, maybe a snack or a bunny treat ;)

Sorry your having to deal with that - people can be terrible sometimes. Hopefully they'll just give up when it's not so easy to mess with your buns. Ramadan Mubarak to you :)

ok so im homeschool and i loose everything but mom got a set of lockers for me and my sibs and i have a lock on mine i keep one key on a chain on my neck and i gave the other to dad (in case i loose it)

arachyd

Reaction score
I'm hoping you already resolved the problem and all is well by now. You can always plant some nice thorny roses or raspberries (rabbits love the leaves too) around your hutch. A good source for inexpensive trail cameras (and just about anything from running shoes to bed linens to military surplus) is sportsmansguide.com. They usually have several types, a broad range of prices and a plan where you can make payments. I've used them for more than 20 years with no complaints.

Reaction score
You could put some rabbit-safe climbing vines around the fence, like @CanineWild said to provide shade and a quick snack. Some safe vines are grape vine, rose, climbing nasturtium, peas (edible kind not sweatpeas), a couple of raspberry canes (would need tying in). I hope this helped!

Latest posts