Some rabbits more comfortable staying in their cages.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
I have a group cage with 4 French Angora does. I open the door around noon and 2 would jump out within a minute. The other 2 don't leave even though the door is opened. Around 3pm I call the bunnies for feeding and the 2 does would come and jump in the cage to get at the pellets. I then close the door for the day.

My first rabbit did not leave her opened cage for days. After she did leave she didn't really want to get back to the cage.

I sometimes forget to close a door and find the rabbit still in the cage the next day. I assume the cage is high off the ground and the rabbit was scare to jump. However I've had rabbits jump off a cage 5 feet high.

Yeah, it's really interesting how their personalities vary. Some seem more curious and willing to explore beyond their cages than others. Once, I had to evacuate my rabbits during a fire storm and ended up having to keep their cages on the ground for a while. A child opened the buck's cage and he was gone when we went out there. We looked high and low, far and wide. When we went back to the cages we found him only a few feet away from the cages huddling under a stack of boards. I was shocked he had stayed so close with all the open area he could have been lost in. I have other rabbits that I am sure would not be so close if they got out!

Last edited:
We have a little stray that is pretty reclusive. Stays in her box. I use nesting boxes all winter for cold protection. They keep their boxes clean. One that comes over to see what snack you have

Latest posts

Back