Solid spherical growths on buck’s liver

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjeffstone

Reaction score
Hi!
I harvested a buck yesterday that seemed in failing health. He was about 2 years old, had a good coat but hair would easily fall out. He hasn’t sired any kits since June, but has been eating and behaving normal. Attached to his liver were these solid round balls. Any idea what they might be?
See longer story after the pictures, as I have some more questions (only if you have time!). Much appreciated!

I have two 2 yr old NZ does and this 2 year old CA buck. They’d been producing well for close to a year when everything ceased. They’ll both lift for him, falloffs every time. Lucky guy even gets a squeal in here and there. Yet no kits a month later. I’ve repeated breeding attempts a week after she was supposed to kindle.
I brought one doe to another breeder to mate, she lifted and seemed all was good. No kits. I bought a proven buck. Both does have lifted, he’s squealed, no kits. Now he’s got the sniffles and runny, watery eyes but otherwise acting normal.
Could whatever the initial buck had be contagious, like an STI? I’ve half a mind to harvest them all, clean cages thoroughly and start afresh. That’s the “scorched earth” approach, but I’ve been struggling and miss eating rabbit meat!
Lastly, should we eat any of this guy’s meat? Or is he suitable for dog consumption? Or just compost him?
Thanks for reading all the way thru here, if you’ve made it this far!
Happy holidays!
Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_6640.jpeg
    IMG_6640.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6639.jpeg
    IMG_6639.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Assuming the CA Buck in the second story is different than the one in the first-
Has he been proven before? If not then he could have something like a split penis or missing a testicle
Same question for the Does. There's a lot of things that could be a factor, including heat

Thank you for replying! In response, they're both proven bucks - at least, according to the guy from whom I purchased the second one. I've ruled out heat, as this has been going on since June. I'm in the SF Bay Area, so it never gets too hot or too cold here. Both does proven as well, they'd given me plenty of litters.

honestly.... I'd submit those pictures to rabbits inside out group on Facebook. Those are so very odd looking. I'd be wanting answers. Did you cut one open? If so, what did you find?

if the meat has no lumps, my assumption is they would be fine, but the liver I would definitely NOT feed. In fact I'd wrap and dispose of in the garbage. Check over the kidneys, lungs and heart carefully.

I always opt for "safety first". Looking at those livers and the fact that the doe did not conceive with outside bucks, I'd go for the “scorched earth” option. I would not eat any part of those rabbits unless you send that liver to a vet for analysis. My first thought was that those look like cancerous tumors but what really bothers me is that your doe didn't conceive with an outside buck so I'd be concerned that it's something contagious. You probably want to notify the owner of the outside buck.

Poor guy - he must have been pretty uncomfortable!

I'm with @ladysown - I'm hoping you cut one open, and would love to see what it looked inside. I'd also be interested to hear if you checked the body cavity thoroughly for additional tiny ones elsewhere. I don't use Facebook, but if you do, the Rabbits Inside Out group sounds like a good option.

Tumors, in my experience (which is fortunately not a lot), haven't been that regular-shaped, and usually seem to have a lot more vascularization; the ones in your rabbit made me think more of cysts/encysted parasites (e.g. encysted botfly larvae in caribou). But I cannot imagine what parasite in North America could infect a rabbit and get that big. It's also extremely interesting that these seem to have their own sac, almost like a peritoneum.

If you still have the objects, I'd mull over taking them to the state vet, although that can be a loaded option. (If the state decides it's something they need to take control over, you may lose your rabbitry and your privacy.)

Thank you all for your further replies and great insight. I've requested to join the Rabbits Inside Out facebook group and will certainly paste some pics. I put the liver and all the other parts into the freezer, and will check them all out to find others. And I'll certainly cut at least one of those open to see what I can find.
In regards to the vet, I thought about bringing this liver into them...but the last message does give me pause--I don't wanna lose my rabbitry!
(Oh, and I have let my friend know about these---and will keep in touch with him to make sure that nothing did spread to his bunnies!)

I also think encysted parasites make sense, and though I have not seen it in rabbits, I have seen certain horses do something like that, and get ENORMOUS growths--the same parasite could infect another horse and do next to nothing. The horse with the growth just had a markedly stronger immune response--to their detriment.

Latest posts

Back