So, did you know that unexpected breedings DO Happen?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
Lol. I have to admit, I was thinking of how terrible it would be to not expect the litter, and thinking it would NEVER happen to me. *cue ominous music* Well, you know what happens when you decide things like that, don't you? Your rabbits dig a hole between their carboard boxes and do what bunnies are most famous for. The pair is aprox 5 months. I didnt want to use them for breeding until January, and breed Spooky at the same time, for a first litter. Ugh. Well, nothing I can do, now, and so I get to plan on a litter a month from now. At least they will be pedigreed NZ kits. I can eat OR sell. Or eat. ;)

in that case i'm SURE it will happen to me soon. but since I don't have any underaged does right now and I would welcome kits of any kind, it probably wont! Darn Murphy's Law anyway!

Half Caper Farm":q12uuwqw said:
Ok, so explain to me how you keep your rabbits apart using cardboard boxes? :shock:
:lol: Two, 10-week-old kits can eat a hole large enough to escape from through a cardboard box in five minutes. :p

I am not understanding,
are you telling me that you keep both your Buck and Doe together
in the same cage thinking that they will remain separated by a cardboard box?
If you are going to keep and breed rabbits, each rabbit requires it's own cage/territory.
When you want to breed them that is the time that you place the Doe into the Bucks cage.
You watch the proceedings to be witness to whether or not a breeding takes place.
This should take place within five minutes or less. If nothing happens, remove the Doe
place her back into her cage and try again tomorrow. Continue this for up to four days
as within that time frame they will breed. When breeding takes allow the Buck to
service the Doe at least twice at that mating. There is no need to return the Doe
to the Buck hours or days later as it takes the same amount of time for the zygote
and sperm to arrive at their meeting place. [eight to ten hours].
If your Doe is going to have a larger or smaller litter, re-breeding hours later
has nothing to do with it. It all has to do with the genetic make-up of the two rabbits
you have bred together. Sometimes A Doe will have a smaller litter
and sometimes a larger litter. It may have something to do with the feed regimen.
Ottersatin.

^^^i think cuz she's been 'moving' for a while. It was supposed to happen, then happen, then happen. so, i think she's been on wait on see to see when she's actually moving.. frustrating for her and trying to move her buns.
i shouldn't speak for shara, but, I *think* that's why there is cardboard in the mix ;)

Yes, Dandee is perfectly right. I had them in cardboard boxes, thinking it would take more time than it did, or that they'd be weirded out by not being in their cages, and just leave well enough alone. They were only in there because we are (did) move yesterday. :)

Thank you Dandee. :) We should totally hook up sometime, I think. :p we are so much alike, you can read my thoughts!

eco2pia":dikd83qi said:
Congrats on making the move finally, it must be a bit of a relief to have that settled!
I second that! I hope things get into a comfortable groove for you soon.

Its is, and we already found a house to talk about. And we have a job lined up for Scott. Freindly people, and lots of room!

Latest posts

Back