Snuffles question

Help Support RabbitTalk:

Rexmomma91

New member
Joined
Jul 14, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I bought a male mini rex back in April for breeding (he was 19 weeks old) . And since I got him home, all he does is have sneeze fits. About 2 weeks ago, he developed greenish/yellow nasal discharge. Took him to the vet and was told it was snuffles. He finished his last dose yesterday morning. He no longer has nasal discharge nor sneeze fits. But does sneeze every once in awhile.

I was hoping to use him to added some color to my breeding.

My question is... Do you think it would be OK to still breed him? Maybe table breed him? To try to reduce as much contact, if that's possible.

I contacted the breeder I got him from. They are willing to trade him out for another buck, but cannot guarantee one similar. But I'm hesitant about getting another from that breeder. (I drove 2.5 hours just to buy him and a doe, doe is healthy)
 

SoDak Thriver

Well-known member
RabbitTalk Supporter
Joined
Nov 12, 2015
Messages
234
Reaction score
13
Location
South Dakota near the river.
I bought a male mini rex back in April for breeding (he was 19 weeks old) . And since I got him home, all he does is have sneeze fits. About 2 weeks ago, he developed greenish/yellow nasal discharge. Took him to the vet and was told it was snuffles. He finished his last dose yesterday morning. He no longer has nasal discharge nor sneeze fits. But does sneeze every once in awhile.

I was hoping to use him to added some color to my breeding.

My question is... Do you think it would be OK to still breed him? Maybe table breed him? To try to reduce as much contact, if that's possible.

I contacted the breeder I got him from. They are willing to trade him out for another buck, but cannot guarantee one similar. But I'm hesitant about getting another from that breeder. (I drove 2.5 hours just to buy him and a doe, doe is healthy)
In my experience, the symptoms of Snuffles can be treated, but the disease never goes away. If this pair has already been in close contact, and separate cages in the same car is close enough, they are probably both infected.
Now, I raise meat rabbits, so “cull ‘em!” is easy for me to say. Keep this pair away from other rabbits. Try to breed them. If you get a healthy litter, then hooray! If symptoms persist, you may have to cull. In my experience, does with snuffles won’t carry to term.
Snuffles is the very subject that brought me here. Wait for others to weigh in before you do anything drastic. Good luck!!
 

ladysown

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
7,738
Reaction score
50
Location
near London, Ontario
Breed the buck with the doe. Move the buck away from the doe as far as you can, keep him in isolation. Keep the doe isolated from the rest of your herd as well. Be aware that pregnancy stress can bring out active symptoms. If you get kits (you can successfully), wean the kits at four weeks by taking MOM away from them. Keep mom far away from kits in case weaning stress brings out symptoms. Leave kits be for a week or so, then start mildly stressing them. Take them out, let them play on the grass, take them for a car ride etc. Do whatever you can to provide just enough stress to bring out symptoms without stressing them too much and having it affect their gut. :) YES, it's a balance. :) Any that make to 12 weeks without blowing snot KEEP for your herd! The rest, eat them up!
 

Mutt-Dad

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2020
Messages
21
Reaction score
13
I had a case of snuffles run through my rabbitry. I had a buck and three does at the time. The stress of breeding for the first time brought it out in an otherwise healthy doe, and from there it spread to another doe (completely different genetic line) the buck and third doe never showed any symptoms.
In each case, I kept a healthy doe from their litters to replace mom and culled the rest. I haven't had any problems since. Cull hard.
 
Top