Snuffles? -Need your expertise/experience rabbit people!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrichard2

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to the forums. I find the information here so useful.

I wanted to ask about sneezing. I have three pet rabbits. Two Netherland Dwarfs and a French Lop. I got my dwarfs from a registered breeder and the French Lop from an unregistered breeder. I brought the Lop home and found he had worms and a sneeze. I cleared the worms with Panacur
from the vet, but he continues to have a sneeze and the occasional ear shake.
I looked these symptoms up and saw that it may be snuffles.
Additionally, he used to live outside at the breeders and now he lives inside. I’m wondering if this is a factor that could cause the disease to flare up, or possibly a change in the air could result in a sneeze? Although, this may be wishful thinking.
He is active. Eating very well, drinking water. Zoomies and binkies morning and night. He is 4 and a half months old. I worry about giving him antibiotics from the vet as I know it can be hard on their gut flora.
Does anyone have any suggestions, solutions, or theories? I wanted to ask the forum before I go to the vet.

Attachments

• 41190877-CD1E-4F56-8945-7D0BD93CA7F3.jpeg
    41190877-CD1E-4F56-8945-7D0BD93CA7F3.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to Rabbittalk!

First and foremost, when you get a new rabbit, it is always a good idea to have them in quarantine before introducing it to the rest of your rabbits. We opt for 30 days at our rabbitry, and that is usually enough time to see any emerging issues. Have your other two rabbits been exposed to the sneezing rabbit through either direct or indirect contact? Even something as simple as forgetting to wash your hands in between handling the quarantined and existing herd can spread Snuffles (and other ailments). If there is any exposure, consider all three to be infected but still begin a quarantine for the Lop. If he is quarantined, be sure you are sanitizing between the two groups if not already doing so.

Is this a consistent sneeze? Are you noticing any discharge or mucus at the nose? Dry sneezes can be explained by other factors (e.g. dusty feed, air fresheners, drinking too quickly and inhaling the water, etc.) but seeing a yellowish green discharge at the nose is more likely to be Snuffles. I've been lucky to not have to deal with Snuffles, so hopefully someone else can give you some better treatment advice. I can say that I normally have my rabbits outside and have never had sneezes when they come inside, but we are a fragrance-free household. If you do have fragrances, maybe remove them and see if it improves. I'd think going from outside to inside wouldn't be a major contributing factor, but this is my presumption.

Even a dry sneeze can turn into wet sneeze with some time as the symptoms further develop. Did that breeder mention anything about the sneeze or even the worms? No ethical breeder would knowingly sell you an ill/infected animal, registered or not.

I've had rabbits take Baytril liquid that fixed it without problems. I've also had sneezers that a change of environments stopped sneezing.

Welcome to Rabbittalk!

First and foremost, when you get a new rabbit, it is always a good idea to have them in quarantine before introducing it to the rest of your rabbits. We opt for 30 days at our rabbitry, and that is usually enough time to see any emerging issues. Have your other two rabbits been exposed to the sneezing rabbit through either direct or indirect contact? Even something as simple as forgetting to wash your hands in between handling the quarantined and existing herd can spread Snuffles (and other ailments). If there is any exposure, consider all three to be infected but still begin a quarantine for the Lop. If he is quarantined, be sure you are sanitizing between the two groups if not already doing so.

Is this a consistent sneeze? Are you noticing any discharge or mucus at the nose? Dry sneezes can be explained by other factors (e.g. dusty feed, air fresheners, drinking too quickly and inhaling the water, etc.) but seeing a yellowish green discharge at the nose is more likely to be Snuffles. I've been lucky to not have to deal with Snuffles, so hopefully someone else can give you some better treatment advice. I can say that I normally have my rabbits outside and have never had sneezes when they come inside, but we are a fragrance-free household. If you do have fragrances, maybe remove them and see if it improves. I'd think going from outside to inside wouldn't be a major contributing factor, but this is my presumption.

Even a dry sneeze can turn into wet sneeze with some time as the symptoms further develop. Did that breeder mention anything about the sneeze or even the worms? No ethical breeder would knowingly sell you an ill/infected animal, registered or not.
Thank you! I am so happy to find a good community like this one to improve my rabbit keeping skills.

He has come in direct contact and indirect contact with both my other rabbits, unfortunately. I now know what to do next time.

There is no colored discharge and whatever clear discharge there may be, it’s difficult to see. I’m really hoping there is another factor, but with the ear shake, I worry that it may be a bacteria.
And no, the breeder apparently had no idea about the worms. I’m not sure they would have known about the sneeze as an issue. I’ve learned my lesson there as well. I think it was an innocent mistake. But, I will not get another rabbit from there again.

I've had rabbits take Baytril liquid that fixed it without problems. I've also had sneezers that a change of environments stopped sneezing.
I’m glad to hear your rabbits healed properly with Baytril. I’m bringing him tomorrow to the vet, so I’m hoping they will be able to help. I try to open the window as much as possible so that there is at least some circulation in the air where he is.

Thank you! I am so happy to find a good community like this one to improve my rabbit keeping skills.

He has come in direct contact and indirect contact with both my other rabbits, unfortunately. I now know what to do next time.

There is no colored discharge and whatever clear discharge there may be, it’s difficult to see. I’m really hoping there is another factor, but with the ear shake, I worry that it may be a bacteria.
And no, the breeder apparently had no idea about the worms. I’m not sure they would have known about the sneeze as an issue. I’ve learned my lesson there as well. I think it was an innocent mistake. But, I will not get another rabbit from there again.

Howdy, @nrichard2 ! Happy to have you. :)

Whenever I see a rabbit shaking his head or acting funny about his ears, I check for ear mites in case that is the issue. Have you happened to look down in his ear with a flashlight to see if you can spot any brown crusty stuff or what looks like an ear wax build up? I suppose the vet may also check that while you are there, but if you want you could check, too.

Howdy, @nrichard2 ! Happy to have you. :)

Whenever I see a rabbit shaking his head or acting funny about his ears, I check for ear mites in case that is the issue. Have you happened to look down in his ear with a flashlight to see if you can spot any brown crusty stuff or what looks like an ear wax build up? I suppose the vet may also check that while you are there, but if you want you could check, too.
Thank you! And I will ask the vet tomorrow to check. I looked and didn’t see anything, although it may be deeper in.

What is a false dwarf?
I just learned this not long ago! Well, Finn has a two regular genes so he doesn’t have tiny ears and he isn’t as small as Pippa. Pippa has a regular gene with a dwarf gene I guess. So, she has smaller ears and smaller body. I want to breed rabbits in the future so I am doing lots of research :)

If it were a rabbit here with occasional sneezes and some sort of ear issue, we'd give them dry oatmeal (plain Quaker Oats is fine) as half their feed ration for a week and see if the sneezes went away. For the ear, a dab of Ivermection will fix it if it's mites. That's a horse wormer sold at the feed stores, it's 1.87% Ivermection and no other medications in it. Some horse wormers have two types of active ingredients, get the one with just Ivermectin. It's about $5 at our local feed store. Seriously way less expensive than dragging the poor bun off to a scary medical office. They're a prey species, everything is scary to them and somewhere with a lot of strange smells - many of them predator smells - has got to be horrifying to them. Just my opinion, of course. I'm not a vet and don't even play one on TV.

If it were a rabbit here with occasional sneezes and some sort of ear issue, we'd give them dry oatmeal (plain Quaker Oats is fine) as half their feed ration for a week and see if the sneezes went away. For the ear, a dab of Ivermection will fix it if it's mites. That's a horse wormer sold at the feed stores, it's 1.87% Ivermection and no other medications in it. Some horse wormers have two types of active ingredients, get the one with just Ivermectin. It's about $5 at our local feed store. Seriously way less expensive than dragging the poor bun off to a scary medical office. They're a prey species, everything is scary to them and somewhere with a lot of strange smells - many of them predator smells - has got to be horrifying to them. Just my opinion, of course. I'm not a vet and don't even play one on TV.
Thank you! Do you know why oatmeal is good?

Mine had what I thought was snuffles last fall. I fed oatmeal regularly and also sprayed lavender essential oils everyday for about 3 weeks. That took care of the problem. Although I think what caused my rabbits to sneeze were the rats😒. I’m having a small rat problem again now😭💀. So if anyone knows how to get rid of rats please I urge you to share.

Snuffles is one of those rabbit diseases that comes in a whole variety of forms... from bone density issue and throwing weak kits to the really obvious snotting.

It is also an immunological disease and is prone to come out in times of stress. It hides really well which is why some breeders take a hard line and cull rabbits that blow snot, sneeze regularly or throw kits that are weak. I am one of those breeders. I want strong healthy rabbits.

So rabbits who sneeze I suggest you IMMEDIATELY quarantine. This way you can mitigate any exposure and you can watch them more closely. It's hard sometimes to catch them blowing snot as they wipe it away super quick. So then you check their front paws. Are they matted? If so, you have a rabbit blowing snot.

Then you have choices:
1. Take bunny to the vet and culture the snot so you know what you are dealing with. Then treat (if bordatella) or medically drive into remission if snuffles.
2. Keep the rabbit until stress from moving mitigates and the illness goes into remission. This does not mean that they aren't contagious, just that they aren't showing obvious symptoms. Quarantine will be a fact for the rest of that rabbit's life.
3. Terminally cull.
4. Find the exact perfect home that will keep him as an only rabbit for the rest of his life. A home that understands that he is forever sick and that he might get worse. (I do not recommend this as I find it terribly wrong for a whole number of reasons, but it is something that many people choose to do).

If there is no snot, it could simply be a rabbit sensitive to dust.

If you are looking to breed I would not use him for breeding. I would keep him away from your other rabbits.

Snuffles is one of those rabbit diseases that comes in a whole variety of forms... from bone density issue and throwing weak kits to the really obvious snotting.

It is also an immunological disease and is prone to come out in times of stress. It hides really well which is why some breeders take a hard line and cull rabbits that blow snot, sneeze regularly or throw kits that are weak. I am one of those breeders. I want strong healthy rabbits.

So rabbits who sneeze I suggest you IMMEDIATELY quarantine. This way you can mitigate any exposure and you can watch them more closely. It's hard sometimes to catch them blowing snot as they wipe it away super quick. So then you check their front paws. Are they matted? If so, you have a rabbit blowing snot.

Then you have choices:
1. Take bunny to the vet and culture the snot so you know what you are dealing with. Then treat (if bordatella) or medically drive into remission if snuffles.
2. Keep the rabbit until stress from moving mitigates and the illness goes into remission. This does not mean that they aren't contagious, just that they aren't showing obvious symptoms. Quarantine will be a fact for the rest of that rabbit's life.
3. Terminally cull.
4. Find the exact perfect home that will keep him as an only rabbit for the rest of his life. A home that understands that he is forever sick and that he might get worse. (I do not recommend this as I find it terribly wrong for a whole number of reasons, but it is something that many people choose to do).

If there is no snot, it could simply be a rabbit sensitive to dust.

If you are looking to breed I would not use him for breeding. I would keep him away from your other rabbits.
Thank you!! He still sneezes but no matter fur. The vet thought he may have allergies. The vet also said his third eyelids were more red than normal. He thought maybe any irritation from the eyes was dripping down internally to the nose. I’m hoping it’s just allergies. We need more science on rabbits!

Some times it may be better just to return the rabbit even without a refund. Another rabbit such as your other 2 would be a better fit.

BTW does your vet specialize in rabbits?

Some times it may be better just to return the rabbit even without a refund. Another rabbit such as your other 2 would be a better fit.

BTW does your vet specialize in rabbits?
Yes, he does! I’m so glad because they seem hard to come by

Latest posts

Back