Snake, eagle, lizard, chicken eaters! What to do.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
I need help. So, a month ago one of my cats, Blitz disappeared and three days ago Running my two month old single chick also disappeared. Running has a mother called Thistle, who usually these days stays with the roster and yesterday the roster disappeared and Thistle got broody but we can hear the roster. what do you think I should do we already decided to set a snake trap (yes we will use chicken as bate but we will get it from some where else and we will eat it first) and we are going to try to kee the chicken inside there houses, please send me any other ideas.

I hope he's ok :), i know the feeling from when one of the rabbits is missing from the garden, but they usually turn up within an hour.

First thing I would do is setting a wildlife camera up. It's very useful to know what is going on around the house, even if nothing has happened as yet.

It would help if you put your general location into your profile, wildlife here in Austria is different to, say, in the US - I really like the snakes I have around the hutches and barn, but the biggest we've got here are aesculapian snakes.

Snakes are unlikely. I don't think even a python would take a chicken. Now a monitor on the other hand would easily go for chicken and cat both. Even so it would have to be a full sized monitor. Ezra, my monitor, made it to 3 feet tip to tail and was just progressing past mice as food. A 6 foot monitor could manage a cat. Chicken might still be awkward, but it is conceivable.

Monitors will dig, so you should probably try to "fox proof" your hen yard. Instead of lighter wire, use something heavy like turkey wire. Free range is not a good idea in your area unless you can afford to lose part of your flock regularly.

(IIRR you are in Indonesia?)

we are in Indonesia, I think that it is a python because when we came here(on a small deserted island in the anambas) the people who built the structures that I am in saw a three meter long and ten centimeter wide python fight and eat a monitor lizard and that snake ate two cats, but it would be nice to know how to trap a monitor.

Trapping a juvenile would not be hard a snare might do the trick. Our a LARGE live trap if you are so inclined. A cantilever metal drum trap would work for live trapping too. A full grown monitor likely needs a pit trap. I would rather reccomend 22LR or 9mm for a full grown one. Careful of the live ones. Wild monitors (and some tame) have a serious case of salmonella in the jaws.

So I think zee-man has the right idea about heavy wire. Can you find heavy wire for a run or is that too hard to get? I have built some cages out of found things, such as old wire shelves, old oven grates, etc, and if you can only get a little you could build a chicken tractor or something that was sturdy and predator proof for chickens or rabbits, but it would not help with the cats. Anyway, then you could just move the chickens (or rabbits) from place to place in your yard and nothing could eat them.

actually I live on a deserted island. We (me and my family) are going to build a new chicken house and we can include a ran but we can have chickens (every with Their )in the run with the roster. And our chickens are free range chicken I would hate to lock them up. And I really think it is a snake because yesterday I saw a very small python so there is a mother, but thanks for the suggestions.

Honestly, despite the difficulties I can imagine in living on a deserted island, I am jealous. How do you have internet?

I just looked up the Anambas Islands Regency and now I am even MORE jealous. You are basically living in paradise. :love:

It is a great places indeed but before you get to jealous you have to remember that I am only living with my family (almost).

Latest posts

Back