Small Kits or "Faders?" Prevention possible?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CourtWil

Reaction score
Hi. We just had our first living litter of Holland Lops and we were pretty excited until I started to suspect they are quite small. So now I am growing concerned that we should expect them to potentially "fade" away or maybe be ready step in with a little supplementation? I am hesitant to add new things into their little systems if it is not necessary and tinkering with them might cause more harm than good? Originally when I realized they were very tiny, I reached out on a HL breeding board in which a couple people felt the were faders. A term I never heard of and haven't found a lot of research on. If I have a litter of runts when should I step in to ensure they have the best chance to remain strong enough to handle solid foods and wean? I read that at 2 weeks to begin supplementing with KMR and liquid vitamins. I am hoping for some advise here and maybe hear from anyone who has had exceptionally small buns in a litter. It sounds like sometimes they just die unexpectedly but other ones are able to be helped and survive.

My doe is small and originally had 6 kits. She ate the two largest leaving the three smaller ones (all the same size as each other) and one peanut. Peanut died day 3. The remaining kits are large gerbil size and 14 days old. We hold the doe 2x a day and everyone feeds really well. They hop and seem very vigorous so far. Showing slight interest in hay, and all of the eyes opened on days 12-13. I feel maybe they are a week behind size-wise or just take after mom and are ok - but maybe they need some help catching up if possible.

Two other questions - If we are feeding with mom 2 x a day, how much formula should they also get if we supplement? I don't want to overfeed them. Or should I wait until they start to eat less and look sick? And since the doe is kept separate but near them so they aren't eaten (just as a preventative) should we try to give them cecotropes? Is that a normal part of growing up? Sorry this is long, just trying to figure this out. THANK YOU! :bunnyhop:

Attachments

• bun tort.jpg
    bun tort.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 476
  • broken black.jpg
    broken black.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 476
  • Brown bun.jpg
    Brown bun.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 476
sometimes kits will surprise you. I wouldn't mess with their diet too much. They are at the age when they will start nibbling on hay and pellets and oats. As long as mom is feeding them at least once a day, give them a chance to get going.

If their eyes didn't open until day 12 something is a bit off. They should be open day 9-10. Any eye crusties? they do look small, but first time litter, give them a chance. If they don't pick up by week 5... might not be going okay.

Thank you both! I just want to make sure they have the best chance, without inadvertently causing more stress in the process. I will give them a little extra time to work on growing. I welcome all the tips anyone has! Thanks again!!

Hi. We just had our first living litter of Holland Lops and we were pretty excited until I started to suspect they are quite small. So now I am growing concerned that we should expect them to potentially "fade" away or maybe be ready step in with a little supplementation? I am hesitant to add new things into their little systems if it is not necessary and tinkering with them might cause more harm than good? Originally when I realized they were very tiny, I reached out on a HL breeding board in which a couple people felt the were faders. A term I never heard of and haven't found a lot of research on. If I have a litter of runts when should I step in to ensure they have the best chance to remain strong enough to handle solid foods and wean? I read that at 2 weeks to begin supplementing with KMR and liquid vitamins. I am hoping for some advise here and maybe hear from anyone who has had exceptionally small buns in a litter. It sounds like sometimes they just die unexpectedly but other ones are able to be helped and survive.

My doe is small and originally had 6 kits. She ate the two largest leaving the three smaller ones (all the same size as each other) and one peanut. Peanut died day 3. The remaining kits are large gerbil size and 14 days old. We hold the doe 2x a day and everyone feeds really well. They hop and seem very vigorous so far. Showing slight interest in hay, and all of the eyes opened on days 12-13. I feel maybe they are a week behind size-wise or just take after mom and are ok - but maybe they need some help catching up if possible.

Two other questions - If we are feeding with mom 2 x a day, how much formula should they also get if we supplement? I don't want to overfeed them. Or should I wait until they start to eat less and look sick? And since the doe is kept separate but near them so they aren't eaten (just as a preventative) should we try to give them cecotropes? Is that a normal part of growing up? Sorry this is long, just trying to figure this out. THANK YOU! :bunnyhop:
So interesting the doe ate the larger ones, possibly something in the genetics or they were born with something that caused them to be born sick? I always add 1 part cream to 2 parts water when making KMR mix, a friend and long time breeder suggested a slight bit of corn syrup mixed in if they're starving, hope that helps!

Back