Slow to mature?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikku

Reaction score
I have three standard rex rabbits that are just reaching breeding age. Two just turned six months last week. The buck is ready for action. I put the doe in and she attacks him. I have since learned how to check her vulva and she is pale and pink. Waiting for her to turn purple before putting her in again. Her water has acv, feeding her a few BOSS, and have raspberry tea to try. I'm bringing patient and waiting for her to be ready...well as patient as I can be as it will be my first rabbit breeding and I am looking forward to it. Looking forward to the babies at least.

My question is, how late do slower maturing rabbits usually take to get into breeding? I've been checking her every few days for the last couple weeks. She is 7.6 pounds, so isn't over weight. The buck is ready and willing and 7.6 pounds.

Thanks for any thoughts or tips you may have.
Pikku <br /><br /> -- Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:28 am -- <br /><br /> Clarification since I was half asleep writing the above post. I understand at six months they are not late and in maturing. I was just curious about how long to go before I get concerned about being able to get her pregnant. I've read a few places that the later you breed, the harder it is to get a good brood doe.

I put the doe in and she attacks him.

I believe that attacking a buck is a pretty "mature" behavior.

Well...I don't consider aggression towards my bucks acceptable behavior, even if she isn't ready to breed, a doe has other options. (like running away, or simply refusing to lift)

Unless she's pregnant...I've never tried to breed a pregnant doe, but, I feel it would be forgivable in that context.

Is there any possibility that she was already bred without you noticing?
(There have actually been members on here that observed them breeding between the bars of their cages.)

I cannot palpate my does to check for pregnancy, but some people are very good at it, even the first time they try.

Another thing that comes to mind if she isn't pregnant and looks ready-to-breed.
You can try holding her while the buck mounts.

Not forcing her to lift, but just stopping her by holding gently on her head and shoulders so that she cannot run or attack. I dunno why, but a few hard-to-get does of mine have just...lifted easily when held like that.

I have had them for a few months as I wanted young stock to get them friendly and used to me before breeding them. He has never mounted her and they are in stack cages so he has no access unless I put them together. I don't think there is a way she could be pregnant, unless they are magic rabbits! I'm hoping to see her vulva turn red or purple soon so I can feel better about putting her in with him.

Latest posts

Back