Skinny rabbits & grains

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
MaggieJ said this on another thread:
Lonelyfarmgirl, do you feed any grain in addition to the greens and hay? When I first started with natural feeding back in 2007, I did not initially feed any grain. The rabbits looked okay - lean rather than skinny - but they always seemed to be hungry. I began feeding small quantities of grain (about 1/4 cup daily per adult) and it made a big difference.

My rabbits are currently getting a sprouted grain mixture of wheat/oats/BOSS/flaxseed with sometimes some lentils (concerned about those causing gas). I recently noticed my two does (with 4 week old kits still with them) are skinny. One concernedly so. They are both eating with gusto. I give them:

Morning: 2.5 cups of a mix of pellets and sprouted grains (3 day sprouts) (their kits help them eat it and there are never any leftovers)
Evening: large handful chunk of 5-day fodder plus either forage or purchased goodies (i.e., kale, carrot, radish, apple, banana)(their kits help them eat it and there are never any leftovers)

I know that sprouting changes the protein/carb ratios. I'm wondering if that could account for them losing weight?

I'm going to get some pumpkin seeds this weekend as a measure against potential internal parasites. Any other thoughts or ideas?

I don't know the answer, Frecs. What you are feeding sounds very nutitious. Do you also feed alfalfa hay or do you perhaps feel they get enough alfalfa in the pellets? The only thing I can think of is that perhaps they need more carbs. The sprouted grains and fodder are excellent for proteins, vitamins etc., but since the does are nursing still, they may need a touch more to be satisfied and keep on the weight. You could try feeding them an additional few tablespoons of grain and see if it helps. I can't see it hurting in the short term.

I can't get my hands on alfalfa hay. I can get either alfalfa pellets or cubes but hesitate to purchase because I've heard that some rabbits don't like one or the other or both and I would be so upset if I'm stuck with a bag they won't eat. That is actually the only reason I'm still using rabbit pellets and honestly, I'm only guessing that the pellets use alfalfa as the label is very vague. Protein has been my biggest concern -- are they getting enough. But, apparently, they may not be getting enough carbs, either. :fainting:

You should be able to get both the nutritional information and the ingredients list for the pellets from the manufacturer's website.

I've always found natural feeding to be a bit of a balancing act and I do find myself adjusting proportions up and down based on how the rabbits seem.

I know you are feeding pellets but it might be worth buying a trace mineral salt block just in case they are not getting enough minerals. The 4-5 pound ones go a long way and if your rabbits are in individual cages, you can knock chunks off with a hammer. The reddish-brown ones for general livestock only cost $2-$3 and the rabbits will only use what they need.

I actually emailed with the grain mill that produces the rabbit pellets. They didn't want to disclose the actual ingredients due to "proprietary issues" but assured me there was no corn in the mix. I looked at the list of grains and other ingredients info they do have on their website and it gives me the impression that they use good stuff. In fact, they are the ones I get my wheat and oats from and I'm quite impressed with both products. As you can see from what I've copied, below, there is no way to know if alfalfa is in there but I recall someone saying somewhere that it is likely what is being used as "forage products"?? Interestingly, they do *not* sell a alfalfa pellet or cube product for horses. Should that set off alarm bells???

(here is the ingredients list per their website: Processed Grain By-Products, Forage Products, Roughage Products, Plant Protein Products, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt CArbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin.)

Pretty vague. Since the first ingredient is grain by-products, the proportion of alfalfa may be small. However, since you are feeding sprouted grains and fodder, they should be getting enough extra protein from them.

Frankly, I am stumped. It sounds to me as though you have all your bases covered. You could try increasing the quantities slightly, since the does still have the kits with them. I don't know what else to suggest.

That makes me feel better, Maggie. I was afraid I was missing something. I'm also going to see if I can find a horse person near me who will let me try a bit of alfalfa cubes and/or pellets to see which the bunnies prefer. Very soon I will be sending the bunnies in the grow out pens to freezer camp and the kits still with the does will move up. Then, the does get the rest of the summer off to get back into condition. In the meantime, I'll keep increasing the amounts I give the does so they get enough to eat -- those little bunnies like to get up into the bowl and hog it all!

Little piggies!

Getting a sample of alfalfa cubes and pellets is a great idea. Then you'll know without shelling out money for a whole bag. :) I used alfalfa cubes one spring when I ran low on alfalfa hay. They aren't cheap but there is very little waste.

MaggieJ":3ujn3zhb said:
Little piggies!

Yes, they are! I gotta try and get a picture as it is quite funny. The dish is attached to the wire and up a bit to discourage the does from scratching out the feed (one used to do that bad with J-Feeders). One little bunny will brace itself with one back foot holding the wire, one foot holding the bowl "arm", and the other feet holding the edges of the bowl. :lol:

Latest posts

Back