Since they will stay in QT...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
I was wondering, since the Lilacs will most likely stay in QT extra long and may never be bred with my other rabbits, should I let them settle in for a week and attempt to breed already?
Buck is 7.11 [small guy and a bit thin], Lilac doe is 6.6 and Choco doe is 7. Does are 15 weeks old and 2 days.
Maybe they are also too young, even though they have nearly reached the proper weight.
What are y'alls thoughts on QT breeding and then the weight vs age breeding?
:?:

They are not even 4 months old.

I would hold off breeding until they are at least 6 months, and even then they may not catch, my show stock Am Chin didnt catch until she was 8 months.

I know some breed early, 6mo if they reach weight. And I tried that, attempted to breed a doe who reached weight at 6.5mo, I think, she accepted, but never took until 8mo. Terrible fail, no nest, she thought about fur but quit and then kits all over the place. She's on try #2, inside the coop and I changed my sleep schedule so I am awake real early so I'm ready to try and save kits.

Maybe give them another month or so and then try. But very young does often just do not get it, so don't be discouraged if they don't do well with the first litter. A month will give them time to mature a bit and get over the ear mites and other symptoms.

I mainly wanted to know people's thoughts and if anyone has tried it, what happens.

Thanks!

One of my NZxCal's bred at 17 weeks, she weighed around 8 or so pounds. The buck was a first-timer and only got her once, but she made a good nest and had 3 live & 1 DOA kits in the nest and she'd been good at feeding them so far. c:

I know I've seen someone say that they start trying to breed at 5 months, but I've read that some rabbits can be ready earlier... depends on the rabbit, I think.

What I do is this....at 16 wks I start checking their vent for the correct color: dark pink/purple, swollen and moist. Once I see that, I put them with a buck. If they lift readily, then they were ready. If they don't, I take them out, wait a week and check for color again. I put them back when I see the correct color. I don't ever force breed a first timer, I let them tell me when they are ready. Most of my does are bred between 4-5 months and are usually at or near Sr. weight by then. Since I started breeding this way, I have had fewer breeding issues, almost NO kits dropped on the wire and my younger does seem to do very well with their first litters. I have not lost a first litter in a long time. Of course, this works for my rabbits and may not work for everyone....YMMV!

Thanks for the input.

Sometimes I see purple and moist hoo-hoos when I'm sexing 6-8wk kits, but I laugh at them and tell them they are too young to be going to adult parties right now.
=)

ChickiesnBunnies":1vv6yt8m said:
Sometimes I see purple and moist hoo-hoos when I'm sexing 6-8wk kits, but I laugh at them and tell them they are too young to be going to adult parties right now.

:lol:

Latest posts

Back