Silver fox question

Help Support RabbitTalk:

KelleyBee

Reaction score
For those of you with more experience with the silver fox breed, are these eyebrow and mustache markings within the breed standard? My breeders don't have them, yet they are on these kits...9 and 8 weeks. Only on the blues, as best can tell, and blue littermates don't seem to have this expression. Am I being overly concerned? 20211231_095116.jpg20211231_095114.jpg

Last edited:

hotzcatz

Reaction score
Do you have a copy of ARBA's 'Standards of Perfection'? That should list the specific requirements of colors, ear carriage, etc. I don't have Silver Foxes so don't know, but those are pretty rabbits.

KelleyBee

Reaction score
Do you have a copy of ARBA's 'Standards of Perfection'? That should list the specific requirements of colors, ear carriage, etc. I don't have Silver Foxes so don't know, but those are pretty rabbits.
Not yet. Does it come with membership? I literally just joined last weekend and am awaiting my mail packet.

MnCanary

Reaction score
The Silver Marten people say that extra white hairs on the face will go away when the kits are older--evidently with the final molt. I know that Silver Fox are different, but I wonder if that is true of your breed as well.

KelleyBee

Reaction score
The Silver Marten people say that extra white hairs on the face will go away when the kits are older--evidently with the final molt. I know that Silver Fox are different, but I wonder if that is true of your breed as well.
Ok, in a Silver Fox group on MeWe, one person answered my question and basically said the white patches last through the first molt, which is when the actual silvering comes in.

Mini_stead

Reaction score
Don’t have much experience with silver foxes as I am just a beginner. But those patches are interesting. My two week old blue has a black tip on its tail. Curious if it will stay also. Beautiful bunnies they are.

KelleyBee

Reaction score
The lighter patches will likely go away with age, but the blue color is outside of the standard anyway
No, his coat was not too light. That's just the lighting in the photo. I think it's too hard to properly judge coat color from a photograph, unless perhaps a professional photo. I was just inquiring about his eyebrows and mustache.