Side Entry Nest Box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a couple 6-8 day old kits manage to wander out the door. I thought I should add a barrier. I don't want to make the hole too small though. How large is the hole into your nest box?
Thanks for your help!
Liz
7-8", up from bottom about 4-5" . I put a scrap of 2x outside so it's easier for littles to get back in.

In Texas there are mosquitoes all the time except for the coldest part of the winter.

I learned a new thing to help prevent mosquitoes in the nestbox. I usually use a lidless box when there are a lot of mosquitoes, hoping that the air movement will discourage mosquitoes.

The new boxes I made are completely enclosed, top/bottom/sidies, but the top/bottom are removable..

Gertie had a wooden bottom on her box, Calypso did not because she was so excited to get it that she immediately got inside & in my way so I wasn't able to assemble the bottom piece.

Yesterday, I noticed the box with the wooden bottom had mosquitoes and the other did not. I think the moisture retained by the wood encourages them. I removed the bottom of that box and today there were no mosquitoes.

I never thought a bottomless nestbox was a good idea, but I've changed my mind. In the summer it's great! In the winter I will use the bottoms.

So Calypso did me a great favor by getting in my way because I wouldn't have tried it otherwise!

Just thought I'd share & maybe help someone who has mosquito problems too.

- Liz

I've accidentally had the litter container hide become a kindle box. I didn't add a wooden wall, just left the lid on, and let the lever portion act as a ramp in. Then one day there's fur in the back, and little wrigglers happily sleeping. Convenient thing about leaving the lid on, it was easier for kits to crawl back in if they got out.

Trouble was that after they weaned she treated it as litterbox. I suspect that it may have to do with existing smells, since there is little drainage for the kits' waste she decided that it was the bathroom.

I've accidentally had the litter container hide become a kindle box. I didn't add a wooden wall, just left the lid on, and let the lever portion act as a ramp in. Then one day there's fur in the back, and little wrigglers happily sleeping. Convenient thing about leaving the lid on, it was easier for kits to crawl back in if they got out.

Trouble was that after they weaned she treated it as litterbox. I suspect that it may have to do with existing smells, since there is little drainage for the kits' waste she decided that it was the bathroom.
Great thing about the litter buckets is they are easy to clean!

Great thing about the litter buckets is they are easy to clean!
I have found that the girls tend to use the boxes as a bathroom. The boys seem to like them for a "fort" and keep them very clean. I watched a buck clean his out with his front feet when poop or scraps got into it. He would just push it all very carefully out the front LOL

I don't keep the boxes in the does cages until they have kits or the weather is bad, most bucks get them 24/7

Latest posts

Back