Shy/uninterested buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried to breed my satin buck and doe. He was dong his job, but she was uncooperative. Not fighting or anything, just sitting in the corner. I tried a couple times that day, same thing. I gave them both some BOSS and apple cider vinegar in their water, left her in his cage, and decided to try again tomorrow. This morning, brought him back to his cage, she sat in the corner of her cage while he ate her food. After a while of this, I took her back to her cage. Later, I decided to try bringing them to a neutral space where they could hop around. There was some hopping in circles, and she even mounted him a couple times, but that's it.
I don't have any older does to breed him to to build up his confidence. What do I do?

Maybe he's just young?
My buck (who we thought was a girl) was pretty 'shy' when we first put him with his companion rabbit. Three months later we ended up with surprise kits. Guessing his age, he successfully bred her right around the time he was six months old, maybe a little older.

He's six months old <br /><br /> -- Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:34 pm -- <br /><br /> Update: Tried putting him in her cage, he tried once, but at the wrong end

Becky":3tqhd3un said:
He's six months old

-- Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:34 pm --

Update: Tried putting him in her cage, he tried once, but at the wrong end

What breed is he? Some breeds mature more slowly than others. I mean seriously, my buck was at LEAST six months old, probably closer to seven months old when he finally impregnated the doe he was running around with. He's probably just young and hasn't figure it out yet. Give him time. Sounds like he knows what to do. Try again tomorrow. :)

I'm not sure if this will work or not, but, if he is old enough to breed, and you have the ability to do so, you might try putting another buck close by. If he feels he might have competition for the doe, he might get in the mood really quick.

Like I said, I don't know if it will work or not, but by nature, most animals instinctively try to be the dominate one when there are other males close by.

Success! She finally got impatient and started chasing him in circles mounting him, and he got the idea.

Glad he got the job done! :D

I just wanted to add for anyone in the future that we have "trained" two bucks now by putting the doe in with a buck in a cage beside the buck I want to breed. That buck will chase the doe, mount her, get mounted by her, etc.... once he succeeded, but the other time he didn't. I try to make sure the young buck is paying attention to the lessons.

I took the doe out of his cage and put her immediately in with the first buck. So now she smells thoroughly like another buck. It doesn't take long for that to get the better of him, and get him to start breeding the does. :)

Latest posts

Back