Shredded Paper vs. Wood Shavings

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheasant283

Reaction score
We are currently using pine wood shavings in the rabbit trays. I am thinking of switching to using shredded paper instead. Any thoughts, or experience, good or bad?? When we clean out the trays they go into a compost pile. I think the paper would break down faster than the wood shavings, would they negatively affect the compost? I do like the smell of the wood shavings. I have access to shredded paper at work, it just goes in the dumpster, so I figure why not use it.

The paper will actually help the compost pile heat up faster. It does not use up nitrogen the way wood shavings do. If youhave worms in that pile, they will apreciate the paper a lot more than te shavings, as well. BUT-- whatis the base of the ink from the shredded paper? Newsprint has vegetale based nks, by law, but what chemicals are in the ink/toner, etc that are going through that shredder?

but what chemicals are in the ink/toner, etc that are going through that shredder?

AH,
therein lies the Fly in the ointment!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

A lot of ink is plant based these days so generally not a huge concern especially when the animal isn't forced to be in contact with it. Paper is not very absorbent though. It's barely a step above using nothing. You'll still have pee puddles and wet trays. A finer sawdust rather than large shavings will also break down faster and can give you completed compost in a couple months on a loose pile that isn't turned.

Shredded paper won't absorb much, as Akane said, (I used it a few times for chicks, and it just trampled down into a mass of ickiness. I use sawdust in droppings trays. Sometimes I'll mix it with peatmoss, which helps a LOT with odor.

Back