Show me your hutches!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D9C355BC-9C9C-499F-A9ED-79A61215A1A3.jpeg3DECB09A-6BE2-4C37-8696-91254049AAEF.jpeg1693700524625.jpeg

This is our current setup, we originally started with just the white hutch which used to be three holes, our original three rabbits didn't work out, we took a few years to really start up our rabbitry at which point we had acquired the four holes and a lot more supplies. We have now been running this setup for about 15 years. With that said, I don't love this setup. Don't get me wrong it work well, but it's not very pretty. (this was just after a barn clean out btw, the hutches/walls/saw horses are just very well used and as such have some pretty good build up on them, it just happens over the years. Y'all probably understand, but some people have been pretty harsh about it in the past)

This setup is what I really want, but this would be more of a "when I move out, get in a table place and have my own rabbitry" sort of thing. probably wont happen till I'm in my 30s or 40s.

1693701179859.jpeg

I really appreciate this thread. I'm struggling with how to keep my rabbits. Right now I'm leaning towards building a hutch like the Rabbitry Center shows on his site or one like is shown on the Teal Stone site. Does anyone have a preference or experience with other designs. I like some of the PVC/Tarp options as well, but that would change where I locate them. In northern climates is a hutch closed on 3 sides with 36x30 cages enough?

The double stacked like they used in Teal Stone would give me enough for a trio and grow out cage, but they seem like a lot more maintenance due to build up on the diverters. Thoughts?

I built a 12 foot by 7 foot hoop house using 3 cattle panels and a repurposed flatbed tarp. It is super heavy and has the D rings sewn in so it can be lashed to a load. They are perfect for zip tying to the panels.

This was important because we live on a mountain ridge and frequently get winds as high as 60 mph. The tarp has held and the structure has enough wiggle to sway like a tree and not come apart.

I've just finished an upgrade where I sank my Bass cages (30x36) into one wall...this gives more space inside. It is still a work in progress as i plan to enclose the bottom of the walls and further predator proof it...i am also working on poop catchment strategies😆

Attachments

• 20240224_113603.jpg
    20240224_113603.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240224_113707.jpg
    20240224_113707.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240224_113738.jpg
    20240224_113738.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2aeac354-8f22-4e39-9017-c5e8be53859f-1.jpg
    2aeac354-8f22-4e39-9017-c5e8be53859f-1.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1a691f67-dd8b-4e86-be57-b91a1bdcdd4b-1.jpg
    1a691f67-dd8b-4e86-be57-b91a1bdcdd4b-1.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2024-02-24-171051887.mp4
    10.8 MB
  • media_20240224_114418_5057527397422783698-1.jpg
    media_20240224_114418_5057527397422783698-1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • ImportedPhoto_1708874381557-1.jpg
    ImportedPhoto_1708874381557-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • ImportedPhoto_1708874676227-1.jpg
    ImportedPhoto_1708874676227-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I built a 12 foot by 7 foot hoop house using 3 cattle panels and a repurposed flatbed tarp. It is super heavy and has the D rings sewn in so it can be lashed to a load. They are perfect for zip tying to the panels.

This was important because we live on a mountain ridge and frequently get winds as high as 60 mph. The tarp has held and the structure has enough wiggle to sway like a tree and not come apart.

I've just finished an upgrade where I sank my Bass cages (30x36) into one wall...this gives more space inside. It is still a work in progress as i plan to enclose the bottom of the walls and further predator proof it...i am also working on poop catchment strategies😆
I like that. I have a bunch of cattle panels and tarps. Do you find it too dark for the rabbits? It looks like you have things under the cages. How do you manage manure? Is there a "chute" I'm not seeing? Just shoveling?

I'm on a mountain ridge as well. It gets pretty windy and my Shelter Logic walks around too much. It looks like you can fit 3 cages in it?

I really appreciate this thread. I'm struggling with how to keep my rabbits. Right now I'm leaning towards building a hutch like the Rabbitry Center shows on his site or one like is shown on the Teal Stone site. Does anyone have a preference or experience with other designs. I like some of the PVC/Tarp options as well, but that would change where I locate them. In northern climates is a hutch closed on 3 sides with 36x30 cages enough?

The double stacked like they used in Teal Stone would give me enough for a trio and grow out cage, but they seem like a lot more maintenance due to build up on the diverters. Thoughts?
I know that Bobby has a tarp that comes over the front when the weather gets really cold...as does Teal Stone. Bobby is located in Michigan on the West side. On the Bay side and in the UP I felt like the cold winds came up from the bay a lot more.

I live in Montana. So my first approach was to use a tarp carport. Due to the accumulation of snow (even though I removed the snow in the morning and throughout) poles bent. However, it was warmer in there from the tarps, body heat and pine shaving floor. I like larger cages for my rabbits. 48"L x 30"W x 31"H or 42"L for the smaller. I went with repurposed dog crates, rewired. I do not use a heater. I like the enclosed space. No wind. I am redesigning my area though, to a bigger place. I was looking at a solar power fan for heat and cooler air. I'm not sure I want a total enclosure though.I like fresh air. I like the idea of hanging the cages. So , I will have to figure out which direction I want to go with.

I know a few other people here in Montana with rabbits. In the winter the first person keeps her rabbits in a shed in the winter, and uses a heater. She said this is mostly for her convenience. However, she will use the heater during kindling times if needed. She has a lot going on with her chickens, pigs,goats,horses. In the summer many rabbits still live inside while the grow outs are outside.

The other person moved her rabbits into the garage and uses heaters.She did say she was going to build 20 new cages this summer. https://www.construct101.com/Rabbit-hutch-plans/
I imagine in her backyard.

I like that. I have a bunch of cattle panels and tarps. Do you find it too dark for the rabbits? It looks like you have things under the cages. How do you manage manure? Is there a "chute" I'm not seeing? Just shoveling?

I'm on a mountain ridge as well. It gets pretty windy and my Shelter Logic walks around too much. It looks like you can fit 3 cages in it?
It is dark when i close it down but i have 6 12 inch led lights that operate on a timer. I can adjust the brightness and theyre magnetic so they stick right to the panels. In the warmer weather (because we have hot and humid summers) the sides come right up for lots of ventilation and airflow and light.

I have three cages on one wall...then theres a stack of 2 on the other side in the back corner and one more on that side as well. They are smaller cages for my smaller rabbits. I also have a table and room for a feed bin and a hay can. My quail hutch is against the end on the outside but where the tarp can be pulled down over them in wet weather as well.

Rn we are shoveling...i have trays on the other side. My does poop in one spot so i have dishpans to catch most of it. But i am working on designing a poop chute!

I am building and adding onto my hutches and need some ideas! What do you guys use? What do you suggest? How do you like your nesting boxes? What's your manure system? And if you have other things you'd like to mention, please tell me! I would love to learn :)
I'm using stacker cages right now. I like them a lot. The drop pans are nice, only problem that I'd fix is to make sure you tilt your drop chutes back otherwise urine drips down your back as you're helping the rabbits toward the bottom. (I'm speaking from personal experience.)
1709907732660.png

Going down the "rabbit hole" on YouTube it's crazy how many options there are. Every time I settle on something, I see something else that I think will be better. I didn't want to, but now I'm leaning towards a building a hoop house in the back field.

Just finished building hutches for the new Dutch rabbits I got a few weeks back. They had been in temp cages till I got these finished. Moved my Flemish over to the new area as well. Of course next to the garden so the black gold can be used pretty easily. Flemish cages are 96"W x 30"L x 24" H Dutch hutches are 36"W x 24"L x 28"H each, they just happen to be screwed into each other.

Attachments

• IMG_9367.JPEG
    IMG_9367.JPEG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9368.JPEG
    IMG_9368.JPEG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9370.JPEG
    IMG_9370.JPEG
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9371.JPEG
    IMG_9371.JPEG