Should I Sanction

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceful Rabbitry

gracefulrabbits
Reaction score
Hello, I am going to a show the end of this month. My breed is not sanctioned and I understand that if it is a all breed show you can still show your rabbit but you can’t get legs, or can you? I am showing a rabbit I bought from someone else, so should I even bother with trying to sanction my breed? The sanction just counts for the rabbit breed clubs sweepstakes, correct? What is a sweepstake exactly?

Thank you!!

Hello, I am going to a show the end of this month. My breed is not sanctioned and I understand that if it is a all breed show you can still show your rabbit but you can’t get legs, or can you? I am showing a rabbit I bought from someone else, so should I even bother with trying to sanction my breed? The sanction just counts for the rabbit breed clubs sweepstakes, correct? What is a sweepstake exactly?

Thank you!!
Your rabbit will get ARBA GC legs if it earns them; no breed specialty sanction is necessary for that, just an overall ARBA sanction.
Yes, sanctioning the show with the breed specialty club means that wins (all of them, not just legs) count for points toward the specialty club's sweepstakes. It's basically a program that promotes the breeding and showing of a particular breed by awarding prizes to the exhibitors who've shown the most rabbits the most successfully in the preceding year.

Your rabbit will get ARBA GC legs if it earns them; no breed specialty sanction is necessary for that, just an overall ARBA sanction.
Yes, sanctioning the show with the breed specialty club means that wins (all of them, not just legs) count for points toward the specialty club's sweepstakes. It's basically a program that promotes the breeding and showing of a particular breed by awarding prizes to the exhibitors who've shown the most rabbits the most successfully in the preceding year.
Thank you it’s making more sense now, I am not a member of my breeds club because it says the website is “under construction” and I can’t find a place to join, so would they still count my awards and could I still sanction my breed for the show?

Thank you it’s making more sense now, I am not a member of my breeds club because it says the website is “under construction” and I can’t find a place to join, so would they still count my awards and could I still sanction my breed for the show?
I believe anyone can pay to sanction the show, but you have to be a specialty club member for the points your rabbits earn to count towards a sweepstakes. What breed are you hoping to show? You might look at the ARBA website to find current contact info for the specialty club. Some clubs seem to be moving toward posting on Facebook and letting their websites fall into disrepair (which is a total disappointment for me because I do not use Facebook).

Okay, I will try to find their info. I am hoping to show one of my Silver Marten does. I understand not having Facebook and it is a disappointment.

I believe anyone can pay to sanction the show, but you have to be a specialty club member for the points your rabbits earn to count towards a sweepstakes. What breed are you hoping to show? You might look at the ARBA website to find current contact info for the specialty club. Some clubs seem to be moving toward posting on Facebook and letting their websites fall into disrepair (which is a total disappointment for me because I do not use Facebook).
Wait, do I email the person running the show to the specialty club?

Wait, do I email the person running the show to the specialty club?
I just looked up the Silver Marten Club report in the Jan/Feb 2023 issue of the ARBA's Domestic Rabbits magazine. The byline is LeeAnn Gaskins [email protected] and the report concludes as follows:

"Lastly, if you are interested in having a breed sanctioned, please contact me [email protected] and I will sanction it for you. Especially, if you want to show Youth! If you would like to learn more about our breed, please visit the National Livestock Conservancy at Home - The Livestock Conservancy. You may also visit and follow our page on Facebook: Silver Marten Rabbit Club (SMRC) Official Club page to interact with our directors and breeders."

Once you get the show sanctioned by the breed club, it is a courtesy to let the show secretary know you've sanctioned it.

I just looked up the Silver Marten Club report in the Jan/Feb 2023 issue of the ARBA's Domestic Rabbits magazine. The byline is LeeAnn Gaskins [email protected] and the report concludes as follows:

"Lastly, if you are interested in having a breed sanctioned, please contact me [email protected] and I will sanction it for you. Especially, if you want to show Youth! If you would like to learn more about our breed, please visit the National Livestock Conservancy at Home - The Livestock Conservancy. You may also visit and follow our page on Facebook: Silver Marten Rabbit Club (SMRC) Official Club page to interact with our directors and breeders."

Once you get the show sanctioned by the breed club, it is a courtesy to let the show secretary know you've sanctioned it.
Thank you so very much!! Okay, I will definitely let the show secretary know when I do :)

Back