Should I keep looking around?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I dont know if this is where I should post this or not but I posted the picture of the Holland Lop doe Im suppose to pick up Friday on another website... I got a reply back saying that other then the lop ears she looks nothing like a Holland Lop and I shouldnt get her.. So can you please critique her please! I'll admit I have ALOT to learn...

380822_216398568440164_100002100667846_525591_1778141468_n.jpg

She certainly looks like a holland lop too me.shes got a poor crown and her ears are folded which is no good.the rest i cant tell from a picture.Not a show quality doe in my opinion.

curlysue":3rev400h said:
She certainly looks like a holland lop too me.shes got a poor crown and her ears are folded which is no good.the rest i cant tell from a picture.Not a show quality doe in my opinion.

So I should probably keep looking.. :(

TinyTotsSeramas":9diedtr6 said:
curlysue":9diedtr6 said:

So I should probably keep looking.. :(

One good thing about Hollands... there Are a lot of them out there .

Depending what You want her for... she might be a wonderful pet. For show or breeding... maybe not so much. it is so hard to pass something up when one Really wants to have it ! :bunnyhop:

Just my opinion but...

Unless she's an older brood doe, and you can see some good kids of her's and she's got good genetics behind her since there can be some very BUD does for brood that give great kids, I'd pass her up. She's not full looking over all even though she may have an ok curve (picture its hard to see by), as said doesn't have the head or ears, and her color is extremely poor for an otter or a silver martin...its hard to tell exactly from the picture for me. Martin as far as I know for ARBA is not accepted, but is in the process. Its been a while since I've heard or seen any thing on the martin progress. There should not be that many scattered white hairs on the main black part of the coat. I'm sure you can find better starter hollands. If you do choose to get her to use for brood, you're going to have a long way to go. If you can get a side posed shot and a head shot when looking it would be very helpful in choosing stock. I have a few brood does that aren't the best headed that when paired with a good buck throw nice kids, but I know whats behind them and they've got some good points to them that the bucks don't have.

Here's a tip to check for pinched or narrow hips which was a huge problem I ran into every time I went to look at hollands when I first started. Turn the rabbit over, tap them so they tuck their back legs in. If they V and are close together, not good at all and are pinched AND narrow. You really should avoid a rabbit like this for breeding as if you work to bred out that issue the likely hood of them not having other issues is very low (usually such does have thin or very fine bone as well and narrow heads, they make great pets but not breeding stock for show). If V'd but farther apart, they're pinched. If they are even like "l l" but close together they're narrow. Ideally with hollands you want them to be as wide if not wider in the hindquarters, in other words side by side as far as part as possible (||) with out slanting feet like // or \\ . It makes for a better show rabbit if they are good other wise as well as an easier birth on the doe. Does with severe pinched/narrow hind quarters generally tend to have more problems with kids...and really hollands are hard enough to breed with out having that added in knowingly. So check the feet too when you do find some that look promising...if you can't check them and the breeder doesn't mind ask for a picture of their feet like that so you can see what they look like.

You'll not find some thing perfect, but what ever you get should complement the buck you have or intend to have to get the most bang for your buck. If you breed 2 that have weak shoulders and lack full hindquarters...it'll never improve for example. And like said, there are a LOT of hollands out there to look thru! :D

Okay so I have found a better breeder about an hour away from me.. She has 2 babies Im going to go pick up Friday.. One is a Tort doe who was born November 1st and a BEW buck that was born October 22.. In the photo of the BEW boy, there is a little gray spot... I cant tell if its an actual gray spot or dirt.. if its really a gray spot, what would that mean?

Here is the Tort doe (best pic she had and couldnt find her charger to the camera)

408607_217279315018756_100002100667846_527726_1823710369_n.jpg

And here is the BEW buck

389407_217290145017673_100002100667846_527737_422230157_n.jpg

At this point im not too worried on showing just yet.. I need to get more established with the breed before I should think about showing! Plus these babies are suppose to be presents for my daughter..

I'm not familiar with lops so I can't help you evaluate them (although their ears don't seem correct, esp. the white's)... but if they are not good quality, I wouldn't advise rushing out to buy them simply because you need to fill a spot under the Christmas tree. You can wrap up some bunny supplies and maybe a book and give her those as gifts, explaining that you couldn't find good bunnies in time, and you wanted her to have the prettiest rabbits of anyone she knows.

Since you are just starting a breeding program, your first stock will be very important- (that's why they call it foundation stock! ;) ), and your daughter will likely become very attached to her first bunnies and any babies they may have. Everybody seems to run out of cage space rather quickly, and hard decisions need to be made as to who to keep and who to cull. I doubt your little girl would like it very much if you decide that you need to re-home them to make room for better stock. Since there is so much competition in the breed I would strongly recommend waiting to go to the show you mentioned and asking a judge to evaluate prospective purchases for you before you commit to buy.

Ooops- I confused you with Peach in re: the upcoming show. Too many Little Lop posts! :oops:

Bramble Hedge":63lypeho said:
They are not good pics, ask the breeder to send you some side on especially of their heads. When getting some pics always ask for some from different views that way you get to see the different aspects of your prospective rabbit.
Have a look around these pages http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-judging/

The breeder said she cant find the charger to her camera an that these photos were taken the begining of this month so their sort of old.

I would be a bit dubios of anyone not supplying me with clear pictures or further information, especially if you spoke to them about your plans to breed and show. They do not have to be posed super well for you to get a rough idea, but it would be best to wait until the breeder can give you some clearer pictures from different angles. If she is serious about selling the buns and they are as good as she is saying she will soon find the charger. Here are a couple of pics of the same doe from different angles (she is not the best doe but the pics will give you the idea) to give you an idea of how much infomation can be tranfered in some well taken pics. Just remember if you don't really like what you see when you get there say no and walk away, don't feel obligated to take them home just because.
attachment=0]bunnies%20016.jpg[/attachment]bunnies14.jpgbunnies%20013.jpg

Attachments

• bunnies%20016.jpg
    bunnies%20016.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 1,105
Be careful with the vienna gene (bews, sports, carriers). I work with bews and while they are beautiful they can be horrible to find any of good quality for breeding let a lone show. If the buck is a bew, you breed him to any doe that's not a bew or has the vienna gene (vm or vc) you can get miss marked offspring that to most breeders are worthless unless they are working with bews.

If she really is interested in selling, she could snap a few with her camera on her phone if she has one. I've done that before in a pinch. Ears can take up to 6 months of age to drop in some lines here, but if they don't drop by then usually they won't at all. It can be very hard to get young juniors that are not natural posers to sit up right, which the USA standard calls for for shows. Even though you're not looking to show right off, if you're even thinking about it save the work and get the best you can. Even if its 3 years down the road before you decide to show at all, you'll have at least 3 years of work under your belt that has gotten you farther then what using and starting with lesser stock would've been. I started from scratch with tri MR and STILL working on them. They are showable, but they are not competitive with blacks or the better brokens at larger shows yet. If I could've found better starter stock, it would be a different story now of what I would have in hand for show and breeding. BUT its all a work in progress...even if not showing now.

If I can figure out how to post pictures I'll post some of my show and broods to try to help out in looks. Is there a place on here that shows how to upload pictures???

SMR":1ldq1cr2 said:
Is there a place on here that shows how to upload pictures???

Go to the board index- Welcome to Rabbit Talk- sub-forums "Tutorials".

SMR":2a7bcs0b said:
If I can figure out how to post pictures I'll post some of my show and broods to try to help out in looks. Is there a place on here that shows how to upload pictures???

Not a computer expert here but when i'm posting a reply... at the bottom of the reply box is another box that is labeled Upload Attachment . That box has a Browse button. Click on that and it will let You browse Your computer files for pictures. Then hit Add the File... and there it is.

Hope it helps. :bunnyhop:

( i was going to say... if i can do it... it is so easy a caveman could do it.... :p could not resist.)

You need to be in "Full Editor" to get the option post pics in a Reply, at least I do. I also made a special file "post pics to internet" and I re-size them in Paint to 500 pixels first, otherwise they wont load because they are too large. Thank heavens I have a teenaged son, otherwise I never would have figured out how to do it.

Ok the first pice...id keep looking..
The second ones..id want to see pics of the rabbits of what they look like right now..i dont like to buy rabbits without my hands on the animal before i buy it unless i know the breeder or have seen the animal before. But at least get pics of the rabbits as what they are right now before you buy them. The little babies you posted look nice but hollands change a lot...they take alot to mature.

That first picture of the little doe almost looks like a harlequin marked and not a straight tort.. like a torted harle.. but in that fuzzy fuzzy picture her head looks halfway decent as it was then. The little buck with the smudge may not even be a bew but a lightly marked magpie the chinchilla version of harlequin. Its hard to tell and I couldn't stop myself from trying to rub that "smudge" off my computer screen lol! As bramble said though I would be wary of someone trying to sell over the internet who can't supply halfway decent pictures of their stock. It doesn't take long to charge batteries for cameras to get a few good shots and you should have received new ones within the day!

Latest posts

Back