Should I intervene for this kit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelleyBee

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
The kit positioned lowest in this photo looks unfed to me. This photo was taken about 6 hours after birth. When I checked on the litter this morning, he was still without a round belly, all others have round bellies. I really need advice from the experienced. I have powdered kitten milk replacement on hand and the needed syringe. Should I pull to feed him? I know to feed upright and I know to feed only 2-2.5 ml once per day. What I don't know is if my instincts are correct and that he needs fed. Thank you for helping!
CB663DDC-AE1F-4906-953C-4294E34F37C1.jpeg

Hand feeding is a last resort with rather low success rate at that age, but there are some great threads here about how to and formula.

I would first try to remove the two fattest kits form the litter for one feeding, doesn't hurt them and the others have a better chance at the milk buffet. The kits must be kept warm and well insulated.

Yes, I would feed him. I really don't recommend formula as it has less successes than the moms milk. You can feed him off the mom for best results. Just sit her on your lap in a normal position, terns the kit on it back in the palm of your hand and snuggle him under the mom. He should start looking for a nipple and the nature will do the rest

Hand feeding is a last resort with rather low success rate at that age, but there are some great threads here about how to and formula.

I would first try to remove the two fattest kits form the litter for one feeding, doesn't hurt them and the others have a better chance at the milk buffet. The kits must be kept warm and well insulated.
Yes. This has worked well for me in the past.

I don't intervene beyond removing the fatties for a feeding or fostering if I have a smaller, younger litter. All they usually need is one solidly good feeding.

This is why I don't intervene. Rabbits either have a solid will to thrive, or a solid will to ... well.. NOT thrive. There often isn't a lot of in between. So I've learned.. they either make it, or they don't. Those that don't are kept and they either feed my cat, or they feed another animal. You choose to let it feed the earth, also a good decision.

This is why I don't intervene. Rabbits either have a solid will to thrive, or a solid will to ... well.. NOT thrive. There often isn't a lot of in between. So I've learned.. they either make it, or they don't. Those that don't are kept and they either feed my cat, or they feed another animal. You choose to let it feed the earth, also a good decision.
I was wondering about feeding to my dog. I feed my dog raw, but have not yet provided my own produced raw because only this year began farming rabbit. So, in your experience this little body could have been given to the dog?

I don't see a problem with feeding to your dog as it didn't die of a disease. I don't take the kits out of the litter box. And suspect that the baby may do best with its mama.
Some kits are just smaller in size.
As per your question, should you intervene ? I would not.
I'm kinda trying to figure out why you removed them ? Not saying that that is right or wrong. I just don't know and curious.
And I have does that perform differently. Some are better mamas.

would definitely have fed it to the dog. :)
Intact? I fully expect to lose others, from what I’ve read. Can our dogs just be given the kits without any prior prep? I do feed my little 5 pound dog a raw diet, but I have never just given him an animal carcass to have at it, although I am not adverse to doing so if it is ok to do.

totally fine. Nowadays mine all go into the freezer, to be ground when I have sufficient, for my home made cat food.
Ok, that’s where 2 I’ve lost have gone. I just ordered a meat grinder today, capable of grinding bone in small animals…rabbit was actually listed. do you feed everything? Brains, all organs? Only in nwbors or everything also in older rabbits? I am so dang new to this!

I was wondering about feeding to my dog. I feed my dog raw, but have not yet provided my own produced raw because only this year began farming rabbit. So, in your experience this little body could have been given to the dog?
I'm sure we've had different experiences, but I wouldn't feed it to a dog. They might get a taste for it and try getting the other ones.

Plus, this is just for me, but I tried saving a baby rabbit from my outside cat and it would have lived if my dog hadn't LITERALLY CHUCKED it around
Also I think that it's spirit would be more peaceful buried or outside

Back