Shelves for cage bottoms?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
I was at Home Depot looking at those white shelves used for closets. They have thick plastic coated metal wire about 1/2" spacing by 5" or 6". Would they make good cage bottoms? The coated wires are so thick that they shouldn't hurt rabbit feet. Only thing is that 20" is the widest.

No, the rabbits legs can get stuck in 1/2 inch by 5 inch gaps but they would be alright for walls, although I would worry about the rabbits chewing off the coating and it rusting out prematurely

The fact that they are coated will not make them easier on the rabbits feet since the pressure points are further apart, think about it this way, which would you prefer- standing on a broom handles spaced apart or chain link fencing, the fencing would be easier on your feet.

I used those for dwarfs, no issues.

As for legs getting stuck, even in 1/2x1in flooring, I have many kits whose legs slip through. That isn't a real argument to not use the flooring.

The wire is half inch apart, how is that any different from half inch apart 14g wire??

We use them no problems. We extended it by overlapping 2 and wire tying them together. Then put it on an 8' long pvc frame and built the cages around that. Worked for a year until the pvc popped apart and we decided to use sealed lumber instead and built our new solid floored cages.

a7736100":3n7iyfd2 said:
I was at Home Depot looking at those white shelves used for closets.

I was eyeballing those the last time I was there too! :lol:

I think they would work fine, and would probably be safer than the 1/2" x 1" wire for kits just coming out of the nest. I had one kit get its foot stuck in my floor wire and had to cut it to get his leg out.

Latest posts

Back