she is ready--should I let her?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
FYI:
Our schedule is a 6 week breed back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHitey, our NZ doe has a litter at 5 weeks today. TO facilitate cleaning, I put her in with our backup buck. She immediately lifted and he tried to breed her---without success. He still hasn't got it yet...

My intention wasn't to breed her, but to allow her kits to eat while I cleaned up her scrabbling.
So--should I let her breed as she seems eager or wait another week per my intended schedule?
She has had 3 litters this year and throws great kits usually 6-7 per litter.
I don't want her run down, so I am fine waiting another week.

Is she fat and happy? I mean...if she's got any problems like not gaining weight, or looking puny, I'd wait. I don't know specifically about rabbits, but most species can be bred as soon as they show interest, as long as they're in good health. The body tends to tell them when.

If she is in bouncing good health and willing, breeding her now will certainly not harm her or her kits.

There are some practical considerations you may want to consider. Will this throw off your breeding schedule enough that it may create logistical problems such as lack of grow-out space? Do you have another doe to breed at the same time, in case of the need for fostering? Is it more convenient for you if you stick to your schedule (from the point of view of when to add nest boxes etc.)

Of course... if you wait, there is always the chance she may not be so willing next week. :explode:

Well, I actually bred a first time doe two days ago, so I rebred Whitey (she easily lifted 3x for Claude). Now I have a couple due at the same time.

We have 2 with week old litters, 4 due this week and 3 due next month.

Back