She had the babies on the wire! Now what?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninabl

Reaction score
My first litter and her first also. She just had a litter of 3 on the wire wile I was at work. I moved her hair pile in to the nesting box and put the babies in there to but she's pulling the hair back out. What should I do?

I would remove the nest, keep the babies warm, and bring the box back to her morning and evening for feedings. But, I am sure some of the more experienced members will weigh in soon with more tips! :)

Good luck with the little ones (and mama)!

Keeping the kits inside is a good idea, but in this instance I would put them in a different box for their time indoors.

You need to put her nest where she is placing the fur. Also give her more hay to add if she wants. It sounds like her nesting instinct just kicked in a little late. Sometimes they dig while making their nests, so the kits will be safer in the house.

:congratulations: on your first litter! I hope she figures things out, and we will be here to answer any more questions you may have. :)

Ok I will keep everyone updated. I put the next back in the box again and she is laying with them. I have had the rabbits over a year just started breeding. She didn't pull any fir until today. I got another doe pulling fir already and she isn't due for another week.

Laying with them is not a good sign. She should only hop into the nest once or twice a day to feed them.

If she is laying in the box and treating it as a bed, she will crush them.

If she is no longer pulling fur or gathering hay, it would be best to take the nest and kits out and bring them out in the morning so she doesn't make a habit of it. If you wont be home to make sure she doesn't continue laying in the box, take it out again after the kits are fed and bring it back in the evening for another feeding.

Back