Shar's small one

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyways, the small one from Shar (the doe lost to some stupid persons actions) has me somewhat concerned.

It eats, it drinks, I assume it poops and pees but there are 10 kits in the cage ...
....but it doesn't DO anything else.
Doesn't come to say hi.
Doesn't move away.
It sits.
Feb162012027.jpg

It does NOT sit like a bunny who doesn't feel well.
it just sits like a bunny sitting.

I've checked it over thoroughly every day since momma died.

Two days it had runny poops.. probiotics in oatmeal worked to clear that up.

But it's been fine since. (poop wise)
But it just SITS.

So what's up with that? It wasn't like that before momma died.
The rest of the litter has bounced back and is active, happy, healthy little balls of energy.

Give me a clue about what to check? Or what to look for? Or ????? I just dunno....
I do not want to separate it since it's still young and in need of some company/support/warmth.

If the recommendation is to cull that can be done to, but I'd rather not unless I've reason to.....I've just not had a wee one do this before so I'm a bit stumped.

I have a chin buck who is like this. Like a statue. I thought it was because I took it from the breeder too young, it was breeder to breeder, but he had friends in the cage with him. He just sits in the back of the cage and does nothing. He seems only to eat after I leave. Seemed a bit odd, just thought he was a recluse.

:hmm: Ever read the book Frederick by Leo Leoni? Your description and picture made me think he is Frederick gathering his thoughts for the tough winter months.

Is it possible that he is simply overwhelmed by losing mom too young and being in a cage with so many others? I wonder if putting him in a smaller cage with one or two other kits from the litter would help?

I had a holland lop like that once.I sepererated him from the litter and he gained weight like crazy.he was too timid too get enough food.

maybe I'll pull it out and let it run with the baby guinea pigs... it and the short ear one... that way it has a sib and no competition. see if that improves it's mental outlook on life. The extra vitamin C in the feed will probably be a boost to it anyways.

if it does I'll call it timidity and it can move to a new home with the short ear one. Should work well I think.

An update:

So I moved Shar's small out.. actually I rearranged all my babies. Put the two odd ones from Shar's litter in with a polish.. all relatively the same size. Those three are doing well.

Put the boys by themselves. They are doing well. The small polish boy is in with the guinea pig boys.

Put the big girls by themselves and three of the four took that change well but I found one this morning all huddled in on itself this morning ... overnight it had lost about 1/3 of it's body mass. So that was unexpected happening.

The small one is doing more hopping with just the three of them together. Still not back to it's before momma's death energy level but overall doing well.

I'm pleased by that. Disappointed by the loss of the other one.

Sorry to hear about your little doe kit, but glad to hear the shy guy is coming out of his shell.

Latest posts

Back