Several Questions Breeding/kindle time

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerryf

Reaction score
I'm retired......hobby farmed for years.....first go with rabbits.
I bought them sexed from a reliable breeder.
I have a ND doe and 5 lionhead rabbits Age of older buck 5 months
1) ND doe "Patsy" age 7 months- was bred successfully by older buck...3-2-13 for her first litter
I put in a box on day 28 she pulled wool for 3 days Nice nest
Today is Day 33 no bunnies......she never kindled- no blood
so false pregnancy???

Breeding time for my Lionhead does I take the doe to the buck Older buck is now 6 months old
1st time breeding for "Cutie" Older buck bred her and fell to the side

1st time for "Baby" a big fight.......Examined Baby 'my doe' is definitely a boy! penis and testicles show

older doe failed to kindle end of March 2013 bred to older buck- she lost her 1st litter last summer, today rebreed her to older buck. Buck was very vigorous but he didn't fall over??
I decided to check my young buck - 4 months old...smelling mess down there........penis is extended and bent..pees on himself...I wil cull him
I think I wil rebred the two does again 12 hours later, or waitfor 24 hours
Diet of good rabbit pellets and hay, fresh water ,,,good condition but no one is fat
Any answers, suggestions, advice greatly appreciated

Hello there.

Day 31 is not a sure fire thing. Most of my does kindle day 34-36 regularly. But you should be able to feel kits moving around in her belly by now.

I would try to rebreed all the does at one time...or in the same day. All of our small netherland dwarfs kindle on days 30,31,32. Rarely do they go over unless we have a dead litter or all peanuts. @ day 12 to 14 I palpate does and try to rebreed if I feel they are not prego. It has taken me a long long time to learn how to palpate. I check the does vulva prior to breeding to make sure they are engorged and purple looking, most does are very willing to breed at this stage. Good luck! Wish you nestboxes full of babies in 31 days!<br /><br />__________ Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:55 am __________<br /><br />Ohhhh, could be your buck is not old enough? Is he just 5 months?

Jerryf":3mnddodf said:
Today is Day 33 no bunnies......she never kindled- no blood
so false pregnancy???

We have had members whose does have gone as long as day 40, usually because of a stuck kit, so the prognosis for the kits is poor. But day 35 or 36 is not uncommon, so do leave the nest in for another week or so.

Buck was very vigorous but he didn't fall over??

He probably didn't get her. Reference the link below so you know what the doe's vulva should look like when she is most receptive, and try again.

This thread will give you a general overview of breeding:

judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html

I decided to check my young buck - 4 months old...smelling mess down there........penis is extended and bent..pees on himself...I wil cull him

Sometimes you will catch a young buck with his penis extended due to excitement, and the curve is normal. However, being "out" all of the time is not. Check the base of the penis for fur that may have wrapped around it preventing it from retracting. I would also wash the area, and look for any abnormal swelling or discoloration which may indicate infection or venereal disease.

Update This afternoon:
I thought it better not to handle the pregnant doe.I will know better next time. Be more proactive....palpate...gently handle the doe to inspect her. All my rabbits are use to be handled..After your suggestions, I caught her up, gently tipped her over...a dead kit half out...still warm.....so I gently pulled him out no resistance.........
( Farm raised I have delivered pigs,calves, kids and lambs) The kit was really long. ? I put her back.She jumped into the nest box. I don't know if her will have more kits, or if the dead one was it..or more dead later Time will tell
Victory Gardens great tutorial on a doe's readiness to breed
Thanks everyone

When they get stuck they usually get pull out real long, and sadly there is usually only dead kits afterwards

The small dwarf breeds are more likely to have problems with delivery the first time, and sometimes the first two or three times. The kit was stretched because it had to be forced through a narrow opening.

She may need further help, so keep an eye on her, and read the link in this thread so you will know how to help further:

helpful-link-for-dealing-with-retained-kits-t13779.html

Some does are too narrow or have "pinched hips" so will never deliver successfully. If you can post a picture of her posed with a view from the side, top, and rear and also flipped over so we can see her feet, someone will help evaluate her conformation for you. Her feet should be parallel, not V shaped.

I hope you get some live kits from her. It is always disappointing to lose a kit, let alone a whole litter. :(

Good luck, and please keep us updated! :clover:

An hour after I got the stuck kit out she delivered the 2nd dead kit. I was so looking forward to my fist kits. She seems well and is eating I will keep a close eye on her. Today my lionhead buck successfully bred my two lionhead does. So maybe kits next month!

Latest posts

Back