Selling a doe with newborns?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
So, yesterday morning I get a call from a lady desperate for rabbits. She had something worked out with another breeder and it fell thru at the last minute. The rules for their 4-H group state that you have to actually own the doe that had the kits that you use for your meatpen, and she had to have it in her possession by today and the kits had to be born this week. I told her that I was sorry, but I had no does to sell. Later in the day, my DD calls to tell me that Tissy has popped...7 kits but two did not make it, so five, in the nest, fed and covered with fur! Last time she pulled NO fur until after they all died from being chilled.

In talking to my hubs later, I mentioned the lady that called and he said, "what about Tissy?" Hmmm...she is not our best doe and we really did not plan to keep her or any of her kits so I thought..."why not?" I figured she could pay me for them so that they would be "hers" and leave them here for a couple weeks. I called and she was ecstatic, her daughter had been heartbroken that she could not get any rabbits. However, they actually had to have the rabbits in their possession. So, after thinking about it and reading some other posts about moving newborns, I told her I was willing to sell them to her but that I could not guarantee that any of the kits would make it. She said that was fine, so last night she and her daughter came. They brought their nest box and I transferred the whole nest to it. I told her I would ask $25 for Tissy (no pedigree on her) and $10 per kit, so $75 total, with a three day health guarantee on Tissy. If she gets sick or dies in three days, she can bring her back to me and I would refund the $25. No health guarantee on the kits.

I really hope those kits make it for the girl's sake...

That sounds very fair to me... The only thing I might have done differently would have been to leave the kits in their own nest box... either selling it to them or getting it back later. But it likely won't matter. Rabbits are pretty flexible.

MaggieJ":huuj8zgp said:
That sounds very fair to me... The only thing I might have done differently would have been to leave the kits in their own nest box... either selling it to them or getting it back later. But it likely won't matter. Rabbits are pretty flexible.

I thought about it, but I desperately need more nest boxes myself and that was one of my new ones....

It likely will make no difference. The nest and kits will still smell and look the same to the doe. Just something for people in that situation to consider if it is convenient. But then, who ever has enough nest boxes?

MaggieJ":3nh18jmq said:
It likely will make no difference. The nest and kits will still smell and look the same to the doe. Just something for people in that situation to consider if it is convenient. But then, who ever has enough nest boxes?

or cages... :roll:

...especially cages!

Let us know how she does! I am thinking of doing the same with BF612 and her 3 kits. I like your price schedule. I am thinking $50 for the doe (papered) and $10 for each kit. Plus cost of the nestbox unless she provides her own.

Ok, now I feel really bad...just heard that she came home and three of the five kits were dead...ugh. I did tell her ahead of time that they may not make it and I could not guarantee the health of the kits, but I still feel horrible....

MamaSheepdog":3rfi5pf6 said:
Oh, man... too bad. Dead how, though? Uncovered? Stomped? Starved?

She did not say, I am not sure she knows enough to be able to tell.... :(

That's a tough deal....I hesitate moving one of my does from one pen to another within my own rabbitry. Most will accept the move and not miss a step. Others get nervous and spooky.

Who's to say what the circumstances were and where the doe and kits were placed. The environment where the doe was placed could have been marginal. One just never knows when that rabbit leaves your possession.

Now, she's gonna be short one animal for the meat pen. If the doe's settled down and taking care of the two that are left, you could offer a kit from your rabbitry if it's the same size and breed. Just a thought that could bode well for the customer and ease your conscience.

Grumpy

grumpy":2jtn0wxz said:
That's a tough deal....I hesitate moving one of my does from one pen to another within my own rabbitry. Most will accept the move and not miss a step. Others get nervous and spooky.

Who's to say what the circumstances were and where the doe and kits were placed. The environment where the doe was placed could have been marginal. One just never knows when that rabbit leaves your possession.

Now, she's gonna be short one animal for the meat pen. If the doe's settled down and taking care of the two that are left, you could offer a kit from your rabbitry if it's the same size and breed. Just a thought that could bode well for the customer and ease your conscience.

Grumpy

I had been mulling that over myself, as well...thanks for putting it out there. I have sent her an email offering to let her use a kit from another litter the same age to finish out her meat pen. I asked to have it back after the show or she could pay me for it if her pen goes to auction and the buyer keeps it. I won't let the kit go until it is two weeks old at least though....thoughts?

OneAcreFarm":3op18enc said:
grumpy":3op18enc said:

Grumpy

I had been mulling that over myself, as well...thanks for putting it out there. I have sent her an email offering to let her use a kit from another litter the same age to finish out her meat pen. I asked to have it back after the show or she could pay me for it if her pen goes to auction and the buyer keeps it. I won't let the kit go until it is two weeks old at least though....thoughts?

Good idea....waiting for the kit to get a little older.

I've sold several meat pens to kids in the area. Year before last a young girl bought a meat-pen and took first place with it!! She auctioned the pen off for over $200.00. Not bad...since I only charged her $5.00 a head because she was a youngster. Her mom got angry when I asked $10.00 a head for the second pen the following year. (Go Figure)

People....they never cease to amaze me. You have to laugh at them.

Grumpy

Latest posts

Back