Self Chins oh yay!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guardianoasis

Reaction score
So if anyone has read my omg genetics post, in my comments you've read that I have possible self chin Satin rabbits. Here's a little backstory on these rabbits.

I'd purchased a bunch of Satins. In this grouping of Satins was a black Satin doe, her two black daughters and the white buck who was the sire of one of the daughters. We later bred this dam to another buck who is a blue and ended up with a blue daughter. Because I had three daughters, I sold the doe to someone who had owned her prior to me buying her. Now I have three of her daughters, all from different bucks. I bred the one doe back to her sire and ended up with a litter of "shaded" kits and rew (there may have been some selfs but I don't remember and non survived). Here is what I do know about this cluster of rabbits....

1) None of the rabbits show any signs whatsoever of any sort of Chin in their backgrounds.
2) There's absolutely no way that this black doe can be a self, chin, and rew carrier.
3) It can't come from her sire because her sire was very much a red eyed white.
4) All three of the daughters from the main doe have white hairs either on their pads or underside of their tail. These white hairs aren't scattered. On the blue doe, they show up under her tail in very distinct bars, like on the back of a harliquin. On the black daughters they show up as eraser sized (or maybe a little smaller) dots between their a couple of their toes.
5) I haven't made note of their eye shade.

The doe in question (dam to the three daughters) known genetics are aa Bb Cc Dd E_ or so we think. She's never thrown a chinchilla kit to my knowledge.

Doe assumed genetics, based off the resulting kits from breeding back to her sire (sire = aa BB cc Dd Ee) = aa B_ cchdc Dd Ee
Half sister black doe, sired by broken black buck assumed genetics based on breedings I've had so far = aa Bb Cc Dd E_
Half sister white doe, sired by REW buck. Assumed genetics based of known breeding information since I haven't bred her yet = until yesterday = aa B_ Cc dd E_

The kits in question are Sallanders. Hours of digging and prying and weeding through the pedigree, pictures online and possible match ups have ruled out basically everything BUT sallander (which in Satins is Siamese). Where am I going with this?

What are some tips/tricks to noticing a self chin in a litter?
I'm not 100% sure that the white hairs on the rabbits are a good way to recognize it. I've heard grey eyes, but I've also heard grey eyes on a black signify that they could carry blue.

What is a good match up for testing for a self chin?
I assume it would be an agouti based REW. I wish I had one lol. I currently have the doe suspected of self chin bred to an american chinchilla. Since I know he doesn't carry REW and has always thrown agouti, assumed this would be the safest second choice. According to my handy dandy punnett square, if she is self chin I should end up with all Chinchillas because she carries REW. If she's not self chin, the kits should be chestnut and chinchilla.

Self chins are pretty common in satins. Breeding to a rew would be good, with breeding to a chin you can prove that she's not self chin (if you get chestnuts) but if you get all chins, she might be a self chin or a Cc rabbit that just happened to only give the rew gene.

Yeah Sable is right. I missed that.

It's 7 offspring when bred to a homozygous for the trait to determine with a 95% assurance that the other parent does not carry the recessive. I "think" it should be the same in this case.

After 7 chin kits you can be 95% sure she is self chin.

Unfortunatly you cannot pick true blacks from self chins in a litter.

Some people claim the self chins have a greyer undercoat but that's not been my experience

Some say self chins are more sable love owing but I've had brassy true blacks so that doesn't help either

Test breeding is the only sure way

SableSteel":8vuhi1uc said:
Self chins are pretty common in satins. Breeding to a rew would be good, with breeding to a chin you can prove that she's not self chin (if you get chestnuts) but if you get all chins, she might be a self chin or a Cc rabbit that just happened to only give the rew gene.

Right, I forgot that part in writing my novel of an original post that I had considered the possibility that she wasn't a self chin and that I would get chestnuts or chinchillas depending on the gene she passed on to her kits. I am getting a REW American Chinchilla tomorrow from a friend of mine that I will use to breed to the two half sisters, just to make that process faster. I didn't realize they were that common in Satins. I guess that means I really should be test breeding everyone with the REW American Chinchillas to see what I get. Just to be absolutely sure that the lines are free of chin.

SableSteel":8vuhi1uc said:

For test breeding

Thank you for this. It will be VERY handy in all my test breedings from now on.

Dood":8vuhi1uc said:
Unfortunatly you cannot pick true blacks from self chins in a litter.

Some people claim the self chins have a greyer undercoat but that's not been my experience

Some say self chins are more sable love owing but I've had brassy true blacks so that doesn't help either

Test breeding is the only sure way

That sucks. I was hoping there was some type of indicator. Oh well I guess I just have to breed more. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:27 am __________ <br /><br /> Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand in doing this I realize that her blue half sister also has to be a self chin because her sire is white..... Yep gonna have to test breed the whole heard

No, I know it's not that big of a deal for showing. It's more along the lines of ocd and knowing what my rabbits carry. Although I'm curious where the white hairs come from now.

Not those kind of white hairs :lol: I'm not at home but when i am ill try to upload some

__________ Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 pm __________

29340124_407716449672978_661137411228565504_n.jpg

These are the white hairs. They are on all three does by the one doe. These are the bars on the underside of the blue I was talking about.

__________ Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:12 pm __________

This is another doe I'm pretty sure is a self chin considering her sire is also REW. The other half sister has a black sire so there's a possibility she is ok. I'll be test breeding her too anyway just in case. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:47 pm __________ <br /><br /> Ok.... I'll bite for a second. :groooan:

The black doe is to my knowledge aa B- cchdc Dd Ee. I do know that she is e because she threw the Siamese which is ee.
The blue doe pictured above I'm assuming because her sire is white would be aa B- cchdc dd E-.

Going based off what I've read about possible hidden steel genes there is a known option that a doe could be aaEse and look self but still give off some ticking that would result in giving away the presence of the gene. Is that what you were referring to with your steel :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: post?
That would make my black doe aa B- cchdc Dd Ese, and her half sister aa B- cchdc dd Es- (Ese??) ?

How would you effectively test that?

According to one side a rabbit with aaEsE will express the ticking of a steel rabbit. So do I find a tort? But if I breed and Ese to a tort, I'll just end up with more Ese and ee. If I breed to an EE though it should pop up with some steel colored rabbits though because the E will replace the e and make the dominant Es complete? Correct?

:explanation:

If you want to test for steel, breed to a chinchilla or a copper. A_ EsE rabbits have the most distinctive steel appearance. Steel is also something that is common in satins, at least in self lines.
Self chin doesnt cause white spots. Those don't look like anything caused by steel either (the feet look normal, but the spot on the tail doesnt) probably some scarring or some genetic white spotting

SableSteel":w7gcxm3s said:
If you want to test for steel, breed to a chinchilla or a copper. A_ EsE rabbits have the most distinctive steel appearance. Steel is also something that is common in satins, at least in self lines.
Self chin doesnt cause white spots. Those don't look like anything caused by steel either (the feet look normal, but the spot on the tail doesnt) probably some scarring or some genetic white spotting

Ok, so. The black doe I have crossed with the am chin, the one that created this whole thread :lol:

Originally I was looking for a litter of all chinchillas, now I should be looking for chinchilla and steels?

If I were to use a REW American Chinchilla knowing he was all dominant except for REW, and test breed to a suspected self chin, I should get the same results correct? Chinchillas and steels (if they are self chin with steel) <br /><br /> __________ Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:36 pm __________ <br /><br /> Aa BB c(chd)c(chd) DD EsE

That's the cross I'd get if she carries steel and chin breeding her to my am chin.

What would that look like?

Got it. Thanks <br /><br /> __________ Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:51 pm __________ <br /><br /> Update.

So breeding to my chinchilla buck was kinda pointless. I purchased a REW am chin after the fact and should have waited and used him. Oh well, when he's older we'll redo this whole testing for self chin thing. At least on the plus side I now know that the am chin buck is AA and carries to cchd because all of the kits came out agouti and chin... except one. None of them survived, which sucks. But it happens. :|

I got this little odd ball.... Took two pictures with and without flash.

31117963_421597148284908_4323018040942788608_n.jpg

31131167_421597161618240_2395352163476832256_n.jpg

All of them were black and had the little chin lighter hairs, except this one. What is it? Chocolate maybe? Or maybe it is a Copper and I just think they all came out chinchilla?

Latest posts

Back