Seeking Rabbitry Ideas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cali

Reaction score
Our cages are currently set up in a 3-sided shed that I gate closed at night to keep them safe. However, it is the shed I wanted for my goats, and it's a little cramped with all the cages anyway so I wanted to do something different for the buns.

Originally I was thinking of getting a 10 x 10 chain link dog kennel, putting a roof on it and some sort of side but now I'm not sure. I'd like to get some ideas on what I could use. Pics perhaps of y'all's setups? I can't go buy a barn or shed, needs to be as economical as possible. :) Thanks in advance!

There is at least one person on here with a rabbitry inside a large dog kennel that they roofed over.

That gallery MSD linked to has pictures of many of our setups. :)

We have ours in a 10'x15' dog kennel. We plan on building a permanent roof, but right now it is just a ridge beam with a 9 ml tarp over it. We put clear plastic over the chain link. We hung a florescent light from the ridge beam and put it on a timer. We run about 10 degrees warmer than outside air. It's not ideal, but we just moved in July 1st and got our rabbits in August. Once the weather gets good, we will get the garden planted and then start working on the rabbitry again.

I can't find any pictures right now :(

I would think in Texas, heat would be an issue in the summer so make sure the roof is not adding to the problem. I would also take prevailing wind and blowing snow into account when deciding which walls to cover. Chain link should keep out most larger predators but not weasels or rats, so if they are in your area I would reconsider the idea. I'm assuming the rabbits will still be in cages in the enclosure, if not you need to ensure they cannot burrow out by lining the floor with wire or my personal favorite - patio stones. The stones, if shaded, will be cool in the summer, they are easy to re-arrange or remove if your plans change and if your rabbits are in wire bottom cages it makes it easy to scrape the floor underneath them.

Amy, looks good! Only suggestion I would make is to raise the tarp at least a foot off the ground. You need more ventilation than it looks like you currently have.[/quote]

Definetly this next summer we will raise up the sides like you mentioned, which will hopefully help with the heat. We also will be purchasing an insulated tarp, which also has a reflective side. We also want to experiment with colony raising in the heat of the summer to allow them to be close to the cool earth, but probably in cages for the winter.
Both ends of the hoophouse are open with chicken wire. Our hoophouse is 20' long, b/c we also house chickens in there. Depending on how many rabbits you want, you could easily shorten the length which would increase ventilation (if you leave the ends open) and make it less expensive to build.<br /><br />__________ Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:09 am __________<br /><br />
SarahMelisse":3jmazpay said:
Amy, did you use cattle panels to make the arch?

Yes, we used 5 cattle panels in all attached to a simple wooden frame.

Back