Seasonal breeders?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinnia

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Wild rabbits are seasonal breeders. I have a very natural rabbit housing situation. Mine are out in a hoop barn (in WI). They're in a modified colony situation. So, the weather does affect them.

I'm wondering about effects of natural housing... being more exposed to the changing seasons... and how that affects my does from settling.

I've noticed a serious reduction in fertility over the fall. There was an issue with the water bottles I had, and I believe my rabbits were not getting enough water. That was resolved by changing out water crocks and getting rid of the bottles. And, the does all put weight back on. But, I still wonder if part of the problem is a seasonal preference for the rabbits.

Am I on to anything? Or, is this not such an issue for breeders?

I'm sure seasonal changes & severe weather affect rabbits ... I couldn't breed all summer due to a buck going sterile from the heat. It makes sense that rabbits would be less fertile in the winter too as there is generally a lack of food , especially in your area where the winter temps are .... beyond cold.

We don't want kits over the winter and so culled one doe and saved a couple juniors to breed in spring. But the NZW we were keeping because she was a consistent breeder and good mother has turned really hostile--lunges at us when we open the cage to feed or water, tries to bite. She is in a wire cage in a shed and it is pretty wintry here east of Lake Ontario. I'd read that breeding was more difficult in the fall, and thought she'd be happy for a rest. We got her in April and she kindled in late May, late July and early October. She's not a happy camper now and I wonder if that is just how she gets when not nursing or pregnant.
Is this their first winter in the colony? Could light be a factor? Hope you get kits soon.

Zinnia":1xewmaa2 said:
Yes, and we went right from an infertile buck due to hot weather, and into a fall seasonal slump. I WANT BABIES! WAHHH!

For winter breeding you want to provide light (min 12 hrs, some suggest 16hrs), you can also add wheat germ (raw) to provide added vitamins (I think Vit E is the big one). When the does are ready to kindle you will want to provide PLENTY of hay/straw/whatever you give them to nest in. I usually provide so much that the does' cage has an overall good layer. The doe will/should make an adequate nest for the temperatures. You just have to watch carefully for kits that get out of the box.

The winter litters we had last year were great. They were healthy and very hardy. Some kindled in less than 20 below zero with no losses. Lots of hay and straw is a big part of the housing we've provided, so no trouble there. The barn is very light (for the season). Even my chickens continue to lay with the light that comes through. No electricity anywhere near, though. So, I can't provide artificial light.

I guess if they were not seasonally challenged last winter, they probably wouldn't be this year, huh? So, maybe the issue of the buck's overheating in summer, plus the water issue I had still hasn't worked itself out? The does are a perfect weight now. I did just breed everyone again... I guess we'll see.

The longest I've heard of heat sterility lasting was about 90 days. I thankfully haven't run into it. If you have at least 12 hrs of light in your barn, I would try the wheat germ, and maybe ACV. If it still doesn't resolve I would look at new breeders. I've got a buck who has sired 1 litter out of 4 breedings, breeding number 4 is on Day 32 today. If she doesn't deliver soon he may get culled as we have a 3-strike rule. Hopefully the buck I held back from the 1 litter performs better, because they have good lines.

Mine bred year round in colony in a relatively dark barn and I have heard of someone who is blind keeping theirs in a building without light on ever. Personally I don't think 100% darkness is a healthy environment but they did still breed.

Wild rabbits breeding seasonally isn't just light. Food drops off greatly in winter in a good portion of the US and probably the opposite in more desert like regions. There are lots of seasonal breeding animals that then breed year round when taken from their natural environment. One animal I know it's a big issue with is sugar gliders Normally they would only breed during a short season with one litter and then that litter would have until the next year before breeding. In captivity whether indoors or outdoors in the US gliders breed steadily and you can't use males as stud, pairs have to stay together or permanently apart/neutered, so they end up having 3-4 litters a year stressing the females in to quick retirement. If you don't remove the young females they get bred too early from the males not waiting a year to breed. Gliders are far less domesticated than rabbits who have been bred for a lot more generations towards year round meat production in many areas of the world.

I think mine seem more willing in winter, too. I'm thinking the seasonal breeding isn't such an issue.

Well, don't gasp, but.... my big, handsome and more expensive buck (with genetics I'm really hoping to get) has only sired 4 kits (and that was with a doe that always gives me at least 9). That's one litter in about 10 matings. And half of these does are proven and don't usually have an issue. I let him fall off and everything... and let him try again. I'd guessed he had heat infertility. He was 6 months when I started trying him. That was a few months ago. Still trying. Still failing.

As I mentioned, I'd had an issue with my does losing weight over a couple month period (same period I tried the big buck) and finally attributed it to the water bottles. When I replaced them with crocks they all gained weight quickly.

My newer, more dominant buck I've only just now tried, so we'll see if he's got the stuff. I'm continuing to try the bigger buck, in case it's not his fault. I'm REALLY hoping it had been a lack of enough water and not his fertility. BTW, he, too had the problem with the water bottles. I had made the mistake of buying a bunch of cheap bottles that were just leaky as all heck and completely unreliable.

I think the water debacle is the source of your problems, especially since they bred fine last year.

akane":26wss9f3 said:
Wild rabbits breeding seasonally isn't just light. Food drops off greatly in winter

Basically, they experienced a "mini winter" because rabbits that don't drink also don't eat- I think the body condition of the animal (wild or domestic) plays a huge part in their cycles.

I have never supplemented light and always get winter litters.

Yup. When i see an animal not eating or not eating as much etc i check water source first. Seems thats my first clue when a bottle is leaking/cracked.

Back