Satin Pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billylilwigeon

Reaction score
Here are pics of my new herd.

Zoe, Stan, Lizzy and Lita are young rabbits which I will be showing in the spring, while Gus, Frank and Londa are my brood rabbits.

Attachments

• Stan.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 1,907
  • Zoe.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 1,907
  • Frank.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 1,907
  • Londa.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 1,907
  • Lita.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 1,907
  • Lizzy.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 1,907
  • Gus.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 1,907
Now ya'll know why I couldn't leave those reds in IL when all I went up there for originally was to get some blacks.

And oddly enough, no red has won best of breed at the Satin Nationals in over 40 years, as strikingly beautiful as they are.

Billy,
those are some VERY nice looking Satins.
The colors are striking in both the Red and the Black.
There are a couple I like a bit better than the others
but, they all look like an excellent start!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":2t3b1p71 said:
Billy,
those are some VERY nice looking Satins.
The colors are striking in both the Red and the Black.
There are a couple I like a bit better than the others
but, they all look like an excellent start!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Zoe is probably the best of the bunch, but Lizzy and Lita aren't far behind. They're all solid and filled out well.

Dan (not Stan, it was a typo) is alot better than he appears, too. He's Mr. Personality, and I just couldn't get him to sit still long enough to take his picture. The flash goes off a split second before the camera takes the picture, and it gets his attention. Trust me, that picture doesn't do him justice.

The rest are brood rabbits. I will probably take Gus to my first show in late February, but he's mainly a breeder buck and I picked him because of his type and fur density. He measures 4 fingers from the top of the hip to the top of the loin, and he tips the scales at nearly 9.5 lbs. Same thing with Frank. Londa is thick, too, but she's past her show days and is headed for the nest box.

billylilwigeon":25thtd8n said:
And oddly enough, no red has won best of breed at the Satin Nationals in over 40 years, as strikingly beautiful as they are.

Red can be a difficult color to get just right. I don't know how persnickety they are in Satins, but I know it's very difficult to get a solid, even Red on the Rex and it's common for them to get DQ'd for shaded spots near the tail and wrong undercolor. The ZNR standard calls for an even color over the entire body, including the belly, but I don't think I've ever seen an NZR that didn't have a white belly!

Even in my Thriantas, which only come in Red, it can be difficult to maintain that rich tone all the way to the skin. Lesser rabbits often win because they have better color.

PulpFaction":25gks5y5 said:
billylilwigeon":25gks5y5 said:

Red can be a difficult color to get just right. I don't know how persnickety they are in Satins, but I know it's very difficult to get a solid, even Red on the Rex and it's common for them to get DQ'd for shaded spots near the tail and wrong undercolor. The ZNR standard calls for an even color over the entire body, including the belly, but I don't think I've ever seen an NZR that didn't have a white belly!

Even in my Thriantas, which only come in Red, it can be difficult to maintain that rich tone all the way to the skin. Lesser rabbits often win because they have better color.

The problem with reds is that other varieties (black, white, cal, broken, blue) are light years ahead of reds in type and development. For whatever reason, the reds just haven't caught on with the fervor and intensity which have been the mainstay for other varities within the satin breed.

But you're right. One look at Gus will tell you how slippery the slope can be once you begin trying to use another variety to improve type. He has a little smut from his copper ancestry. It's not painfully obvious unless you see it up close. Reds are just hard to improve type on.

Back