Safe to eat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems it's most common name for Ambrosia trifida countrywide is giant ragweed.

From here:

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/wee ... agweed.htm

A few upland gamebirds eat the seeds to a limited extent, including the Greater Prairie Chicken. Cattle like to browse on the foliage of Giant Ragweed, and to a lesser extent it is also browsed by White-tailed Deer.

Some medicinal properties too, though it shouldn't be used by anyone with hay fever, I see no other safety warnings.

http://tolweb.org/treehouses/?treehouse_id=4605

I don't see any reason not to feed this to a rabbit. Dunno if they will eat or not.

Okay, I will see if they like it. I grows like crazy around here so we have a lot. <br /><br /> __________ Tue May 19, 2015 3:26 pm __________ <br /><br /> Okay, I will see if they like it. I grows like crazy around here so we have a lot.

It appears fully edible with digestibility and nutrient values similar to alfalfa. In fact it could have become a major, useful crop for humans and animal fodder but was replaced with maize for reasons not entirely known. Maybe just the ease of getting maize and then corn grain over harvesting the human edible parts of ragweed species.

I don't know this plant, but from other posters comments it is probably fine. I do recommend introducing it slowly or giving it only to a few rabbits at first (maybe ones headed for freezer camp) so that you have some experience with it before feeding it in large quantities to everybunny. :)

akane":20rhv3xc said:
It appears fully edible with digestibility and nutrient values similar to alfalfa. In fact it could have become a major, useful crop for humans and animal fodder but was replaced with maize for reasons not entirely known. Maybe just the ease of getting maize and then corn grain over harvesting the human edible parts of ragweed species.

Wow, that is really interesting. It grows everywhere around here and often gets 6-7 feet tall. It is nice to know that is actually has a use.

Our rabbits love it! I started treating them to it after I witnessed some wild rabbits eating in at our property line.

my rabbits like ragweed up until the time it flowers. After that, they won't touch it. It does come back over and over again with pruning and that extends their life.

Latest posts

Back