Sad, Frustrated Buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ridicule here! Learning is good!

That is called a 'dewlap', and does develop it as they grow up and gain weight. Does will pull fur from it and their belly for their nests, but a dewlap is not a sign of pregnancy. I would bet the accidental time with the buck a while back has nothing to do with this, since she was too small to be ready. The other rabbit that was with her could have been a buck (has happened for people, before!). But, having two does in a cage together can also induce something called a false-pregnancy/pseudo-pregnancy. That is where the doe thinks she is pregnant, builds a nest (some even with fur) and everything, and yet produces nothing. How long ago did the other doe get moved out? That can give an idea of if it is a false-pregnancy, since those usually happen around 9-18 days, I think. An attempted breeding can also induce a false-pregnancy, and being 8 days ago, that could be about right for timing.

You should go ahead and put in a nest box for a doe showing these signs or one that is possibly pregnant. Kits on the wire is not a nice experience, and it won't hurt to have one in there!
I sold the other doe on December 8th. I believe she started the nest thing the day before yesterday which would have been the 26th.

I hope she has some sort of immaculate conception going on because I'd like some babies LOL

Liz

:) I think it could go either way then. It seems you may have a waiting game, now. If it is a false-pregnancy, she usually won't be receptive to the buck until it is over. If it is real, then you at least have an idea of the latest she could have them (both for the time the 'doe' was with her and the time you put her with the buck). If you can keep track of possibly-bred dates/times and watch her and keep a nest box in with her throughout the possible-kindling times, that is probably the safest way to go.

Okay, it has been 33 days from when I sold the other rabbit that was in the hutch with Darla. I went to grab her and put her in with the buck just to see what would happen and her nest box is full of fur. She has made a beautiful nest! I'm not sure when she did it because I haven't looked in there in a couple days. There does not seem to be any kits in there.

So, what say you? Do they usually go through the entire process of pulling hair and everything? I've never had a false pregnancy in a rabbit before so I have no clue.

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions

Liz

So, you sold the other doe on Dec 8th, tried to get this one bred on Dec 20th, she started building a nest on Dec 26th, and in the last few days she pulled fur (~Jan 8-10). Hmmmm.....

Have you pulled out the box and moved the fur away to be sure? Kits can hide way down in there (hoping!). :) They can pull fur in a false pregnancy and make great nests- basically they can do everything they would do except have any kits! I have had several Rex does kindle for the first time on the 32nd day in the afternoon, but other members have had rabbits go longer.

So, you sold the other doe on Dec 8th, tried to get this one bred on Dec 20th, she started building a nest on Dec 26th, and in the last few days she pulled fur (~Jan 8-10). Hmmmm.....

Have you pulled out the box and moved the fur away to be sure? Kits can hide way down in there (hoping!). :) They can pull fur in a false pregnancy and make great nests- basically they can do everything they would do except have any kits! I have had several Rex does kindle for the first time on the 32nd day in the afternoon, but other members have had rabbits go longer.
Thanks @MuddyFarms I put my hand in and dug around really thoroughly I doubt there's any kits I would have missed. I will wait a little while longer I guess. Tomorrow I will take it out and actually really look into it but unfortunately it's not exactly a nest box it's a cat litter box on its side so the top's not open

IMG_20220110_155717133.jpg

Similar to this one ... it's harder to see inside. I just use them for their hidey holes, I didn't expect her to have babies LOL

Also the two rabbits were together for a long time, I doubt she would have just gotten pregnant on the very last day I had the other rabbit.

Liz

Thanks @MuddyFarms I put my hand in and dug around really thoroughly I doubt there's any kits I would have missed. I will wait a little while longer I guess. Tomorrow I will take it out and actually really look into it but unfortunately it's not exactly a nest box it's a cat litter box on its side so the top's not open

View attachment 28682

Similar to this one ... it's harder to see inside. I just use them for their hidey holes, I didn't expect her to have babies LOL

Also the two rabbits were together for a long time, I doubt she would have just gotten pregnant on the very last day I had the other rabbit.

Liz

Yeah, I didn't think that was the most likely case, either; the timing just seemed interesting for fur pulling.

Before you sell her ;)

1) You could try cleaning her scent glands and that of your buck. I explained a little about why in this post- Small buck and a large doe
It is easiest with someone holding the doe for you somewhat upright so you can do the cleaning, though.

2) Sometimes trying her with a different buck can help- do you happen to have a spare one?

3) I used to make a little treat/breeding mix for my rabbits to feed them the week before breeding. I used rolled oats, a little cracked wheat, BOSS, some pumpkin seeds, a sprinkling of kelp powder, some flax seeds, a little camelina seed, and a tiny amount of molasses mixed in (just a little). I would give them around a tablespoon every day for one week pre-breeding to help 'flush' them. Some say that isn't necessary for rabbits, but I like to do it. It can also help get them some vitamins. A couple of my rabbits don't like molasses, so I just give them the plain version.

4) You could take her and the buck for a car ride, too... at least, I have heard that works...

Just some more ideas! I wish I could find that good post about breeding tips that was posted a while back. It had so many ideas in it. I will have to look for it again tomorrow afternoon.

Update - Well, Darla (the doe) apparently thinks her pretend babies all grew up and left home because when I put her in with the buck on Friday, she was very cooperative. At least the first 2x LOL. I took her out and gave them a break. I put her back in a few hours later, more success, but the next time I came by her cage she attacked me hahaha I think she has a mind of her own for sure and was totally done with the 'breeding thing' . . . . LOL

She is back to her sweet self now, and hopefully there will be some babies in a bit.

She has a very elaborate 'pretend' nest from her 'pretend' babies. Should I leave it alone and let her add to it? I'm thinking that as long as she has not used it for a 'pretend' bathroom, it should be okay to leave it.

In other news, my small doe had babies on the absolute coldest day: 20F (-7C) . . . . I checked on her water which was frozen, and no kits yet. I talked to her sternly about the fact that she should have had them by now and she had one more day then she was fricassee. I went back to the house to get water for her, and in the time I was gone (20 minutes?) she made a nest, pulled out all her fur and had babies hahaha .. . guess I was persuasive. She's a sweetie. I think she had about 4, but it's too cold to pull them out to see.

Liz

Last edited:
Sometimes when my Doe Cinder has babies that are still born (And ending up with no kits) She'll sit in the next and pretend that she still has them. I've been breeding her and two others for the past 3 days (And today will be the last day) and they were pretty willing the first day but for the past two days (Except for Yoshi) none of them would lift

Update - Well, Darla (the doe) apparently thinks her pretend babies all grew up and left home because when I put her in with the buck on Friday, she was very cooperative. At least the first 2x LOL. I took her out and gave them a break. I put her back in a few hours later, more success, but the next time I came by her cage she attacked me hahaha I think she has a mind of her own for sure and was totally done with the 'breeding thing' . . . . LOL

She is back to her sweet self now, and hopefully there will be some babies in a bit.

She has a very elaborate 'pretend' nest from her 'pretend' babies. Should I leave it alone and let her add to it? I'm thinking that as long as she has not used it for a 'pretend' bathroom, it should be okay to leave it.

In other news, my small doe had babies on the absolute coldest day - 20F (-7C) . . . . I checked on her water which was frozen, and no kits yet. I talked to her sternly about the fact that she should have had them by now and she had one more day then she was fricassee. I went back to the house to get water for her, and in the time I was gone (20 minutes?) she made a nest, pulled out all her fur and had babies hahaha .. . guess I was persuasive. She's a sweetie. I think she had about 4, but it's too cold to pull them out to see.

Liz

That's great! She should have some real kits on the way now. :) Just curious- do you know how much she weighs now?

I did not realize it can get down to -20F in Texas! But that's great that your smaller doe has a good nest and some good kits in there.

@MuddyFarms Lol! Not minus 20F that was a dash for punctuation clarity - LOL - I guess I need to remove it 😁

Thanks for pointing it out! Thank heaven it does not get to -20 here only 12° below freezing which is more than enough for me!!

Liz

That's great! She should have some real kits on the way now. :) Just curious- do you know how much she weighs now?

I did not realize it can get down to -20F in Texas! But that's great that your smaller doe has a good nest and some good kits in there.
I weighed her on the 18th and she was about 7 1/2 lbs . .. I don't know her parents, so not sure how large she should get. I'm thinking about 9 lbs. So maybe I should have waited a bit longer to breed her. Oh well, too late now.

I weighed her on the 18th and she was about 7 1/2 lbs . .. I don't know her parents, so not sure how large she should get. I'm thinking about 9 lbs. So maybe I should have waited a bit longer to breed her. Oh well, too late now.

Not a problem! I was just curious if she had to get up to a certain weight before being willing to breed. Thanks!

I would maybe save some of the fluff from the pretend nest in case of her or another doe building a less elaborate nest on a cold day. Put it in a dry envelope and you can give the babies a blankie if they need it.

Back