Sable Point?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volz83

Reaction score
I have a 6 day old kit out of a sallandar (aa,B_,cchd_,Dd,ee) carrying dilute and a siamese sable carrying dilute (Holland lops). I have had many sable point kits born in my rabbitry and two blue points but this kit seems a little off? It has obvious points especially above the nose and the tail is really dark color (just the top of the tail), and of course darker ears and slightly dark legs. It has no shading on the sides of the belly which even my really clean sable points always have at this age. On day 5 it developed darker ticking (see pictures) and the body color is a slate blue (very light) all over, in some pictures it looks white but it is a light blue. I know both parents throw very clean colors like sable points so I'm wondering if this kit could be a really clean blue point or is their such a thing as a very clean smoke pearl? I never had pointed white so not sure if this could be one. With mom being a sallandar (she has had self chin seal kits with blue and marbled eyes with same sire), I don't know if the cchd gene is messing with the colors etc. :p

JLk2L-REOLXFdZXGTfh4MyJBTwGiA4aNw1xWLw19q0VM=w750-h563-no

9XmveZgu2G9AYrY7gl_dbsmvpIocmZn_og9xxSn1x2mG=w750-h563-no

P1fivPlntNdcz5OOxu3UC9IAF_zb2xNFx2EoYYNkGigu=w750-h563-no

uQjW8FwGyTGV9oinNS-4otOT_BHlWxm_TCsyQFA4A2aI=w592-h789-no

trsofZbZfHagG7Qx2aA-bwPxNV6pOznkPNGIBBOqM7Kw=w592-h789-no

U8LB9-metzobvfnwOyOqU8PVeuwdwl99x9HYrRCXrimW=w592-h789-no

Smoke Pearl (blue sable) more closely resemble self blue and then they start getting darker points and start looking like sables so I'd say this is very clean blue sable point :cheesysmile:

I would expect a sallander to have the darker sides you describe in your sable points :shrug:

Any pictures of your sallander ? It's one of my favourite colours :mrgreen:

Oh, me too! I love this color. I can hardly wait for my Sable Chin to give some recognized Sable colors.... there's potential. Cute kit!

Thanks! It sure is very cute! I think you are right, it being a blue point. Probably will be a very beautiful color! Can't show blue points yet in Hollands, wish you could!

Here is the mother, Silvia!

fl0XcwEJcCTG_V3U2stUfWlaqe_6XrqqrSPMhq3NyyQ=w750-h600-no

And this dashing young fellow is her son Westley from the same sire! He is 2 1/2 months old in this picture. I think he might be a sallandar as well, he has a cream under coat as a kit but as he is molting, it's clearing up but you can still see the cream white on his forehead. Beautiful little buck! Won 2nd place out of 13 rabbits at 10 weeks old!

B7lGHiMQOeCO2Xl0WBprSIVManY7fWa4ttgTsqCa_K0T=w750-h563-no

__________ Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:12 pm __________

Kits eyes opened up today. They don't seem red like a himi. It does however have a strong ruby cast. Can blue points have a ruby cast? Still too young to determine blur/gray or brown eyes.

Updated pictures of the kit. :)

dOxdIMWi8vCySKJcTIiJ4H-QCf_vGE1EXcDrkRDfTXw5=w750-h563-no

eXnaY2QpyDGAgu5FsRyiZSYUIvZWQAPGvKzdfzzC8x6s=w750-h563-no

yLLstnIhGVMYXQt66AGu8XfnDYNEXNW8KWbEnjF5RLAs=w750-h563-no

hmm. I just got a bunch of kits that look like that out of my Angora, like blues/lilacs with really dark points...

Well I'm wondering after taking pictures of the kit today, if it might be lilac based? Some people are saying it's a frosty but frosty is "A" and Sallandar is "aa" so a Sallandar bred to a Siamese Sable can't produce frosty and besides, I do not see any lacing around the eyes and nose. Can blue points or blue Sallandars have a very strong ruby cast? Kit is 2 weeks old now.

3RCEu1Vv0XV1dE5WDQX2somGWFvbUV8NXw2uZA70RS6n=w750-h563-no

V0I4W-qIy8PyrA4j3ZWJ5rQX3MBKKQSOei14NwyZxQIb=w750-h563-no

tgUi3Wk9Bo7euWOHSi3fv2czJtUwsaGe078bcWWUTaK2=w750-h563-no

GboxH9IniZxuUlevH-kMZb0OpwVi-8rDFY0R6gLwoO2h=w750-h563-no

hlcdjDh9HE_U3PNS9sK_3UGyKKYhGp9r6VRhB-G4wLuK=w750-h563-no

xpVOB2pI8THcNpY-zIN4STHYti14vLjxmW5P_J3kaolu=w750-h563-no

WZgo_TMuqlOCKInLwhlW1Ti03AB3oLTmylNd2uiX0ql7=w750-h563-no

volz83":4pfb3m86 said:
Well I'm wondering after taking pictures of the kit today, if it might be lilac based? Some people are saying it's a frosty but frosty is "A" and Sallandar is "aa" so a Sallandar bred to a Siamese Sable can't produce frosty and besides, I do not see any lacing around the eyes and nose. Can blue points or blue Sallandars have a very strong ruby cast? Kit is 2 weeks old now.

Yes. Sable Points would have a ruby cast. If your kit has a ruby cast, I would assume Sable Point. I don't see Lilac, though... <br /><br /> __________ Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:46 pm __________ <br /><br />
skysthelimit":4pfb3m86 said:
hmm. I just got a bunch of kits that look like that out of my Angora, like blues/lilacs with really dark points...

I'm glad you could see these pictures (excellent photos volz83). Yes, skysthelimit, I'm sure you have some Sables in your litter. I LOVE Sable in French Angora!!

Ok. :) I have had two very clean sable points with ruby cast, just not this strong before but will give the kit time to grow up and see for sure! I'm kind of hoping it's just a very clean sable point so I can show it and not a blue point lol <br /><br /> __________ Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:43 am __________ <br /><br /> Here she is at 2.5 weeks old <3

am5xtXWmYr81OCt9gGHFGemHNZaYZe3ztWz3KtKu7CLE=w750-h563-no

-GLF_V4xYAThTZ83xTCDxcvgBZU5urlI7VoLPwGSKTvZ=w750-h563-no

6FHe-1zWfIZud51ktyJ-nVdA4ifYk-FY0RrDw-qavsQP=w750-h563-no

Zinnia":32h0oyeh said:
skysthelimit":32h0oyeh said:

I'm glad you could see these pictures (excellent photos volz83). Yes, skysthelimit, I'm sure you have some Sables in your litter. I LOVE Sable in French Angora!!

Yes these are dead on. I think my confusion was because I understood pearl as sable point. I didn't realize pearl could also be sallander. Initially I thought frosty too, but now I see it's not agouti marked.

Latest posts

Back