Runt going hungry?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine9198

Reaction score
So my kits are now 12-13 days old and have their eyes open. I have a runt that is about 1/2 the size of his littermates and the issue is the littermates I think kick him off the food because I'm finding the runt on the floor outside the box looking for food. Belly empty, mom just fed, doesn't want to feed him. The littermates inside the box are fed. This is the third time and it's becoming a regular thing.

Today, I caught her in-between meal time and held her while he nursed, he finally got some food without the others bullying him off of a teat. His littermates are CHONKERS (and I mean FAT).

Should I continue to hold the doe in-between meal times so he gets something to eat? I also read some breeders will also take the larger kits away for a couple of hours and allow the smaller ones to nurse first. I'd like to know if anyone has an idea on how to deal with this. Thanks!

Edit: I've also tried to supplement feed him and he refuses to nurse off a fake nipple.

128764317_143796853773396_830468857810534327_n.png

He is bottom left, as you can see his sibling (orange bottom right) next to him is well fed.

If the kits are already out of the nest box & eating solid food, I think you just make sure there is plenty of food & water & that the runt can reach it.
I hold moms when the kits are in the first 2 weeks if I have to
I also supplement moms with large litters with dried nettle as well as a daily TBSP of an herb mix I make: blessed thistle, fenugreek, coriander seed, anise seed, fennel seed, marshmallow root.
But I only give it during the first 2 weeks, before the kits are out of the box.

if at this stage he's holding his own, let him be. Once they are eating he'll catch up just fine as long as everything is okay with him internally. They need to be able to fight through to weaning otherwise you just breed weakness into your lines.

Latest posts

Back