rough day...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Last night noticed my one VERY pregnant guinea pig (who was looking way bigger than she should have for where she was in her pregnancy). She was looking off - very wobbly with an odd feel to her tummy, when I picked her up I said this here pig is going to die on me.

So I killed her and quickly opened her to see if I might save pups.

Discovered two rather stinky tiny pups (very dead) and EIGHT!!!! other pups.

She had 10 pups in her and two died sometime in the past day and went ick on her. The other pups looked like they had just died in the past three hours at the most.

I have NEVER EVER had a guinea pig have more than 7 pups so this was a bit of a shocker. This pig normally has two-four. NOT 10. Good heavens.... total bummer on this one.

And then I was checking on babies. Making sure all was good...and low and behold find three dead kits. Four days old... and one was my "ooohh... I think I got a harle I can show!!!" ARGH!!! I'd even pulled most of the fur from the nest! whereas my litter of eight ugly kits are doing just fine....

Stupid heat! And the house ain't any cooler so there was no sense bringing 'em in.

This is why I don't breed in the summer!!!!! (except the piggies who normally don't mind anything about the weather).

toastedoat37":25vg6ugr said:
hmmmm sky, i was thinking dang its cooling off, i put a long sleeve shirt on just now when i was out watering in the greenhouse.

Well, apparently NOT where the rest of us are... :(

Wow, poor piggy. That was very brave of you to cull her and open her up to save the pups. I hope they will do well for you.

Sorry on the loss of the older pups too- it seems it is always the "favorites" that we lose.

((Hugs!))

toastedoat37":9qk1473r said:
hmmmm sky, i was thinking dang its cooling off, i put a long sleeve shirt on just now when i was out watering in the greenhouse.

It was 92F in Ohio Thursday. They said Sat would be cooler, about 80F, that was the cooling off they predicted. It's 64F, after I finished most of the yard work in the hot sun last week.

Here it's getting hotter. This weekend is supposed to be in the high 90s and low 100s! Just 1 winters ago was our coldest winter ever, and now we are on our way to the hottest summer ever!

Latest posts

Back