Rex?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avdpas77

Reaction score
Hi y'all

Got a question for Rex (or any other breed for that matter) raisers. I have all kinds of rabbits mixed into my bunch, and while I never used a Rex, one of the bucks may have had some rex in his background. Since I have never raised rex, I know them only by pictures. I get a few kits out of one particular buck and doe combination, that appear to be rex when they grow out. The thing is, until they are 6 weeks old or older they sort of have this curly thick fur that looks like and Astrex. Then, the longer hair apparently starts falling out (their head first) and the end up with all short hair. Is that what rex's do... or do I have some kind of weird thing going on here?

Mine do that too. It had me worried at first, because although I like the Astrex coat, it is a novelty coat for me. I want showable Rex primarily, and the culls are meat. My Astrex are not yet old enough to see if the curly coats return after the "eclipse coat" where they look normal. As juniors they have the Astrex coat though- they don't look "normal" after that fluffy coat sheds out, as the others do.

Typical Rex feel Rex like as soon as they get enough hair to really rub, about two weeks old. I don't know about the Astrex, as I have never had any, but I have had Rex that have had a more silky, long thin coat, almost like my holland lop kit, then by 8 weeks they have a normal Rex coat again. My breeder remarked on how thin the coat looked at 4 weeks, but it did grow out normally.

I don't know about Astrex. My Rex have the SOFTEST fur ever, and is NOTICEABLY softer than my Zils or Cals.

Latest posts

Back