Rex and high temps.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
I am interested in Rex rabbits. I really want a trio. How are they suited in general for warm humid climates?
I am wanting them for fur and meat.

I am in southern Louisiana, and I have Rex. This will be our first summer with them. It is currently getting into the low- to upper-80s, with high humidity. They are doing as well, so far, as the Californians and mutts we have. We have a fan at one end of the rabbitry, and it blows down the aisle.

We do not have misters, and it is probably too humid for them to be as effective as they would be in drier climates. Plus, the feed would probably mold in no time flat. I don't know what Caroline's weather is like, though.

Our Rex are from a lady in Mississippi.

Miss M":3grcsnzy said:
I am in southern Louisiana, and I have Rex. This will be our first summer with them. It is currently getting into the low- to upper-80s, with high humidity. They are doing as well, so far, as the Californians and mutts we have. We have a fan at one end of the rabbitry, and it blows down the aisle.

We do not have misters, and it is probably too humid for them to be as effective as they would be in drier climates. Plus, the feed would probably mold in no time flat. I don't know what Caroline's weather is like, though.

Our Rex are from a lady in Mississippi.
I believe we have similar weather to Southern Louisiana in the summer. Misters and swamp coolers only help if they're blowing right on you, and I agree about the mold. It's 87F in my insulated, but un-air-conditioned garage/rabbitry and 92 outside at 6:45 PM. I misted my buns with a spray bottle and gave them ice bottles when I got home a couple hours ago.
I like my locally bred, Silver Foxes, but my Havanas seem to be the least bothered by the heat.
I'd love to see a list rating breeds by heat tolerance.
It would also be interesting to know how wild rabbits cope with the heat. We have cottontails and marsh rabbits here... don't see much of them in the summer, though.

Thanks for the info ya'll. I just wanted to make sure they were compatible with the climate.

Don't tell my NZ's they are supposed to have fans and misters at temps above 80, they may go on strike :lol:

Latest posts

Back