REW or BEW dominant?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nello'sHops&Lops

Reaction score
I have a kit that I really expected to be a BEW but their eyes opened enough today that I'm pretty confident in saying it's a REW

That just kind of got me to thinking of which is dominant? If a kit is both cc AND vv which would be expressed? Or would you get purple eyes or something?

The cc genes are on the color locus, while the vv genes are on the vienna locus. Sine cc combination is domiminant to aĺl other alleles, the rabbit who gets two copies of cc will be a REW regardless of the other locus groups.

If you bred a BEW to REW, and got any REWs, then the BEW is genetically an albino carrier. If the BEW had two copies of the albino gene, it would be a REW, and hide the genes that make it a BEW.

Breeding a BEW to a REW should throw all colored kits carrying one REW gene. The good news is that all the kits would be vienna carriers. So breeding the offspring together would give colored kits, BEWs, and REWs.

Back