REW MR Buck to NZW Doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3309

Reaction score
Found a papered and tattooed REW Mini Rex buck.
Hoping to get a slighly bigger REW Mini Rexes by introducing him to a New Zealand doe after a few generations.

Any known problems by mixing that two breeds together?
Should I get another Mini or regular rex instead?

You would definitely keep better rex coats in your line if you didn't out cross to a normal coated rabbit.

-- Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:55 am --

What is the intended purpose for bigger rew mini rex? I thought most people liked them small as possible?

I'll still keep the smaller rexes if they do appear from this cross, but I'm still waiting patiently for a pedigreed MR REW Doe.

Will post pictures of my buck who I call Roger. (Also the tattoo has the first two letters that of Roger)

if you breed a Mini Rex with a New Zealand you will get normal coated kits. But if you cross the kits together you would get 50% rex and 50% normal furred kits. depending on the size of the buck he may have trouble reaching her. you may have better luck with a standered rex :D

:yeahthat: but because the non-rex parent lacks any and all of the modifiers that create show quailty rex fur the second generation will need lots of breeding back to true rex and you'll likey loose size :)

Why do you want slightly bigger mini Rex?

People that want pets want little bunnies, and people that want meat want larger rabbits. :?

I would get a mini Rex doe for him if you are breeding for pets or show.

If you want Rex for meat, I would skip on the mini Rex altogether and just get Rex.

alforddm":27uicp0y said:
But if you cross the kits together you would get 50% rex and 50% normal furred kits

If you cross the kits together you will get 25% kits with no rex gene, 50% rex carriers, and 25% rex fur.

Your right, crossing a kit back to the rex furred parent will get you the 50 - 50 ratio.

I'll still keep the smaller rexes if they do appear from this cross, but I'm still waiting patiently for a pedigreed MR REW Doe.

If your purpose is to breed REW mini rex then just get any color doe, breed to the buck, cross the offspring together or back to the buck and keep a rew doe. You will always get rew from rew x rew no matter what colors you use to get there. You might want to start with 2 or 3 does so you can cross partially related offspring to make a breeding pool of rew rabbits. You'll keep a better coat, type, and size.

Otherwise I'm not sure the point of making medium size rex by outcrossing. It will take a long time for them to be good for show again, most people want something small for a pet, and while they are moderately good meat rabbits most want something bigger that has proven production characteristics for meat. You tend to lose the characteristics needed to make lots of meat rabbits with efficient food intake when you bring in rabbits bred only for show or pet. I did cross a MR buck from a very well producing line with a creme d'argent doe and then with creme d'argent and champagne d'argent but I had much bigger rabbits. My pure champagne buck was 15lbs which is over the show limit. I added a variety of mutts or crosses to get my final meat mutt line.

alforddm":1643w3st said:
But if you cross the kits together you would get 50% rex and 50% normal furred kits

If you cross the kits together you will get 25% kits with no rex gene, 50% rex carriers, and 25% rex fur.

Oh! :frypan:

gosh, can you tell it's early for me?! :D

Latest posts

Back