Retained kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keta

Reaction score
Hello, can someone help me please, my rabbit give the birth to two babies at night, and now is gone 11 hours and all this time she is trying to push out one more. We went for xray and there was one baby in womb still, so clinic offered us c section but they said its dangerous for rabbits, so I'm dunno can she give the birth during the night? I know that baby will be daed its sad but I'm worry about her. She is feeling ok, eating, drinking water.

As i am new here, admin can you please move my topic to right place? Thank you

Hey there, Keta! Sorry you're having this issue with your doe! I recently had a doe take five days to deliver 6 dead kits. She was in and out of contractions throughout that time. We would go check on her and occasionally she would have another kit on the wire, usually in the morning. My vet suggested coming in for an x-ray and only if there were still kits in her would they consider prescribing oxytocin to help her expel them. The vet also said we could feed her straight alfalfa hay for calcium or give her a calcium shot they could sell me, but as long as she was eating and drinking normally that she would probably be okay. Was the c-section the only thing they said they could do? That seems odd. At least you are aware of how many kits to expect her to deliver.

I was giving her some dried raspberry leaves to eat during her long delivery, which she really liked. Also some plain rolled oats. I spent a lot of time reading the threads on this topic here on RT, too.

I hope things go well for your doe!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back