resting meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG3

Reaction score
So it’s been 48 hours since processing the rabbits, I was going to cut them up to freeze tonight but the hips and back still seem pretty stiff, but the front legs and knees move fine. I’m wondering how do we know when rigor mortis is fully passed? Will it be completely limp or will it have some stiffness to it Still. I can leave it one more day but I wanted to get it in the freezer sooner than later. Raw meat in fridge 72 hours makes me uncomfortable. LOL I expected the stiffness to,be gone in 24-48 hours. 🤷🏼‍♀️

It usually takes 2 to 3 days for the vigor mortis to pass. for chicken the stiffness will stay till you move it around. I’m assuming it’s the same for rabbits.

Have you cut it or is it a whole rabbit? I've never had to go longer than a day before it's soft, but I always piece it as I butcher so that might make difference.

Also I've heard if it's an older rabbit it might not soften

I always gave them 3 days to soften up. They should be completely limp except where the bones prevent it.

Latest posts

Back