Rescuing Mom when the litter gets big

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
As some of you know I have most of my rabbits in colony situations...some (the bucks) are relegated to life alone but they really don't seem to mind much.

Most of you also know that because I keep breeding the does, and keep finding new breeds to try out...and can't seem to get my rear in gear to sell kits....I'm overloaded. I'm also rapidly running out of room, so some of the pens are smaller than I'd like.

Now...to the story of the day :)

Bessie, a lovely black American doe (10#6oz) kindled Nov15th with 7 kits. They were cute and happy kits. Hopping around, climbing all over things. Little balls of blue and black fuzz with ears (my GOD..the size of those EARS!!!)

As they grew the kits did not grow out of the happy hoppy climbing thing. For the last couple of weeks poor Bessie has really been put upon :( She'll lay down to rest and they'll just clamber up on top of her, lay down on her head, pile over her on the way around the race track. :x A couple of times I thought she was dead!...just laying under the feeder and waterers (I had them hanging on the side of the cage...a few inches off the floor) and not moving. Kits standing on her eating or drinking :cry: then I'd reach in to take her out and OOOFDA! up she'd spring and hop off to the back of the pen.

Three days ago I decided "enough is enough". I apologized to her as I took her out of the pen "Sorry Bessie about putting you in this dinky cage but it's all I have ready for you right now" then popped her into the 30x36" cage in another room. She's a very loooooong rabbit who was used to the larger pen, so I worried.

WELL! :lol: The first thing she did was sniff all 4 corners, and then FLOPPED DOWN in the middle of the cage, completely stretched out. She looked at me and I SWEAR she smiled. Now she just hops around and lays down, enjoying the quiet.

OH!! interestingly, she is completely litterbox trained now! I put a baking dish (one of the long glass ones) in her cage hoping she'd use it, and immediately it was the ONLY place I find bunny poo :) :bananadance2:

Bessie is no doubt enjoying the break. Kits can be sooooo rambunctious!

"Aunties" help. This morning Alice and Jasper were hanging out on top of the nest tunnels while Sage and Rosemary were lying parallel, about a foot apart, with butts to the wall. All five of Alice's kits were snuggled into the space in between. Everyone looked blissfully content.

I took 8 of the 4 week olds away from Berthas cage, 10 were making her crazy and there was constantly a fear of crushing them in her haste to escape them. I put my buck in with them, and they are doing great; the 2 smaller ones with Bertha recently got added to the mix, as she weaned them off. She gets time with them in small groups, but not all at once till they are big enough to go in the shed. The buck cleans them, snuggles with them and waits till they have all eaten before he dives in to the feed bin. It's so cute.

:lol: We weaned our two litters three weeks ago. First, we took the kits one by one from Pearl and put them into their own cage. When the last one was gone, she immediately flopped down on her side as if to say, "Thank GOODNESS!!!"

Then we moved Squeak's. We got a really big laugh when, once the last kit was removed, she flopped down on her side, too, just like Pearl did! Too funny! :lol:

I put wooden boxes in the cage when the babies start annoying mum it's high enough for her to sit on top of it comfortably without allowing any babies to sit on top of her.

Oh, they all have boxes and nest tunnels to climb up on. She just doesn't like getting up on things. And, well. Even when she DOES climb up on the tunnel, the kits follow. by 2 weeks after they came out of the nest, they were able to get up on top of it. A

Americans grow long, with large back ends and small front ends. They're VERY good at climbing and hopping. (at least mine are :lol: ) We have one doe (7 months) who climbs up a 3ft high fence to get out.

Anntann":2j1g505f said:
...and can't seem to get my rear in gear to sell kits....I'm overloaded.

I SO wish I was ready to start my herd!! I would take some of those little ones off your hands!

LASGSD":16twabbq said:
Anntann":16twabbq said:
...and can't seem to get my rear in gear to sell kits....I'm overloaded.

I SO wish I was ready to start my herd!! I would take some of those little ones off your hands!
Seriously...when you're ready, give me a shout here, or an email. I'm pretty much addicted to having the youngsters around, and I'll certainly help you get started. If I don't have a breed that you're interested in, we can find it SOMEWHERE close by! :D I'm not raising rabbits to make a ton of money, so you won't go broke ;).

I've got to get my software registered, tho, so I can get things really "professional" looking on the books. <sigh> I HATE paperwork, but sometimes..ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Latest posts

Back