Removing nest box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog92

Reaction score
This is our first litter so we're learning. The kits are three weeks old, and yesterday a couple made it out of the nest box. I believe it's time to remove the box, so my question is should I remove the doe and all the kits and scrub the cage, replace with all new hay before letting the kits out?

the way that has worked best for me is to watch to see when all/most of the kits' eyes are opened. I sometimes use a wet cloth to clean the crustiness if the eyes seem to be sticking.
This is usually about 10-14 days old. Then I turn the box one its side in the corner og the cage so the kits can come and go while they begin to learn to eat and drink. This prevents the problem of kits that can get out, but can't get back in :( which could be a problem in the colder part of the year.
I leave the box for a few more weeks. It also gives the doe a place to get up and away from over eager nursers :)
When it seems like there is too much messy, poopy hay, etc. accumulating, then I remove the box.
I don't clean the cage until the litter is gone. Then I do a pressure wash and spray with ammonia before the next litter is in that cage.

Latest posts

Back