Refresh me on rex please?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GBov":2rjsuvde said:
If I cross non rex to rex, do I breed kit to kit to get rex fur or kit back to rex?

Either way *may* get you Rex, but I have done several of these types of breedings and only gotten one or two with Rex fur in the whole litter of 9 or 10. Since each parent contributes one gene, a Rex will always contribute a Rex gene and the mix may contribute either Rex or non-Rex. Over all, you are more likely to get Rex fur crossing back to the dam or sire.

Rex is recessive, so two normal appearing rex carrier siblings crossed would give you a 1 in 4 shot for each baby to be a visual rex. Visual rex (parent) to offspring (rex carrier, normal appearing), will give you a 50/50 shot for each baby to be a visual rex.

bitterroot":3jlqgp4s said:
Rex is recessive, so two normal appearing rex carrier siblings crossed would give you a 1 in 4 shot for each baby to be a visual rex. Visual rex (parent) to offspring (rex carrier, normal appearing), will give you a 50/50 shot for each baby to be a visual rex.

I just recently had a litter from a Rex cross doe and a Rex buck. Of the 9 kits, only 2 have Rex fur. Her first litter to a different Rex buck was 7 kits, and only 1 Rex. I want to breed her to her sibling, just to see what I will get. They are both C.hocolate Cal/Chocolate Rex crosses.

tm_bunnyloft":11f4h24s said:
I crossed my FG doe with my Harli rex buck and I got 2 with rex coats. :) I was surprised.

Your FG must carry a recessive for Rex.... :p

__________ Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm __________

In can be hard to tell whether they are Rex or not when they are very young. One thing I have noticed is that their whiskers will be curly or wavy. Non Rex whiskers are straight.

Curly whiskers and as they grow their hair will get kinda funny looking. lol

I would love to keep her. She has some beautiful colorful kits. But just not enough room for all of them right now. My mom will enjoy her for years to come as with all the bunnies she is taking.

Back