Red Osier Dogwood- Do your rabbits like this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyFarms

Reaction score
Hey, guys- Are any of you feeding dogwood? I am specifically looking at Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea), but knowing how rabbits like other varieties would be nice, too. I have seen it mentioned on RT as something that people have been able to feed their rabbits. I am curious if it is able to be fed in larger amounts or just as a nice supplement to the diet. It is supposed to be a fairly easy bush to root. I don't know if it has a lot of nutritional benefits or not- still looking into that part.

https://mothernaturesmontrosegarden.../plant-of-month-january-redosier-dogwood.html

Okay- found some info about the nutritional aspects of Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea). It looks really good as a fodder source. The first patent link there talks about how growth rate was surprisingly increased among animals fed this dogwood compared to a regular control-group diet and how it is can be used instead of silage:

WO2013159226A1 - Anti-oxidant properties of cornus sericea - Google Patents

Another article explaining how it has been used in past times, growth, propagation, and more:
https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Cornus+sericea

Excellent research, MuddyFarms!

We have red osier dogwood here, but I never thought to feed it to my rabbits. I wish I had! This is definitely one to add to the safe plants list.

I used to cut branches of red osier in winter and force them in a vase for the foliage and blossoms to fight off the winter blues. I see no reason why one could not do this to give the buns some additional green forage when there is snow on the ground. They do take some time to sprout new leaves, but the progression is pleasing to the eye and they need only water, so a low-effort endeavour.

~ Maggie

Thanks, MaggieJ! I really like your idea about bringing some indoors to sprout for the rabbits, too. It sounds pretty and useful.

Back