recurrent illness without obvious symptoms

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I got in this doe with my first group of netherlands who was mostly just a freebie. The person had no pedigree on her and couldn't get her to produce live kits but the 2 bucks were worth buying the whole trio and getting someone to drive them up here. I found her to be extremely bony and she was molting so all she's made of is fluff thus she got called fuzzy doe because I knew she wasn't staying and didn't want to name her. I worried she wasn't going to make it the first 48hrs after spending nearly a full 24hrs in a carrier and the stress of visiting a show for the first time. Aside from the usual feed mix and hay we gave her oatmeal soaked in soybean oil and she perked up after a few days. I thought that was the end of it and that I just needed to put some weight on her and I could send her to a pet home but after about a week she became nearly unresponsive again for about 48hrs and then was active again for a couple weeks until the past 48hrs yet again. She just lays in a fluffed up ball with her eyes closed and doesn't move except to eat a little of the soaked oatmeal which she loves. She doesn't wash herself and I finally gave her a bath because she was coated in pee from her buck neighbors. Otherwise though she has no symptoms. Her nose and eyes are clear and her droppings are normal. There are just these weird vague behavioral symptoms and a lack of condition.

Aside from Shimo who I posted about I also got a blue doe around 6months old nearly a week ago now and they are all in the same room for lack of anywhere to quarantine the 2 newer rabbits. Tonight the blue doe has a wet nose. She's still active, eating, and not sneezing but her nose is very wet. I'm wondering now if fuzzy doe isn't a carrier of something that her body is just managing to fight off leading to her poor condition and these episodes. I'm not sure the next step to take. I'm debating putting down fuzzy doe despite her lack of respiratory symptoms. Even if she's not contagious she is unable to remain healthy. However the bucks who came with her and Shimo have not developed any symptoms but maybe they are already immune to whatever it is. Especially the bucks who come from the same herd. I might call the vet to see what cultures would cost on fuzzy doe and the blue doe but I've been told lots of rabbits who have no symptoms and don't cause the rest of the herd to get sick still test positive for pasteurella so I'm not sure if that would be pointless. I'd hate to lose all my little netherlands though and it would help to know what we might be dealing with rather than guessing and putting them down needlessly or waiting when I should have the sick ones at the other end of my rifle asap.

Latest posts

Back