ready for winter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Snowing and blowing hard here today and I'm wondering where our autumn went. September was still hot and humid summer weather and October was cold and wet, only a couple of those golden days that make fall my favorite season. November just meant the rain turned to snow but kept on falling. Hardly ever see the sun--or moon or stars.
I try to remember to be thankful that our woods aren't burning and our fields aren't flooded, that we got all the root crops out of the ground and into storage and the woodshed filled even though it often meant working in the wet and bringing things in wet. I think I'm even thankful that we didn't get fall litters in the rabbit barn this year since my first attempt at growing fodder this fall failed and the wet weather made gathering forage harder all fall.
I never did get the fall work done in my herb and flower gardens--and I'd meant to catch up on the work that didn't get done in the very brief spring this year. I dug mallow and echinacea roots just before the ground froze and was glad to have the mallow last week to ad to the tea I make for sore throats with dried elderberry and willow bark and fresh ginger.
I usually tell people I like winter, but I realize now that I like it better at the end of a golden fall. Hope all of you are warm and dry and got your harvests in and stored.

Attachments

• IMG_2856.jpg
    IMG_2856.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 867
michaels4gardens":jh0a0l68 said:
we have had "killing frosts" but no snow-- I am "grateful" for that...
It's just 4 degrees here this morning so I am grateful for the snow blanket covering my perennials. The sun is even shining but unless the wind drops or the temp rises I don't feel inclined to get out for a walk.

Back