Rats

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
Do any of you have cats and live on a island with rats (and you want to breed them) well I do and the rats are so smart! A few months ago I caught two rats and they probably just opened the door to they cage and left (growling). How on earth do you catch smart rats.

I will try to convince my mom to buy peanut butter but any other suggestions would be helpful.

A lot of foods work, like bread, with some fat or vegetable oil. If you have something like waffles or cookies, great. Nuts of any kind are good bait. Imho the more difficult thing is to place the traps where the rats are willing to go.

I definitly prefer snap traps, since rats can become a real problem quickly.

Do any of you have cats and live on a island with rats (and you want to breed them) well I do and the rats are so smart! A few months ago I caught two rats and they probably just opened the door to they cage and left (growling). How on earth do you catch smart rats.

I will try to convince my mom to buy peanut butter but any other suggestions would be helpful.

I got my field mouse as a orphaned baby the cats caught the mom, you can keep your eye out for nests, make sure they have fur but their eyes are still closed, best time to take them in, all my pinkies didn't make it :c hope that helps

Attachments

• IMG_20210914_230946262_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210914_230946262_MP.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 6
Bacon...they love bacon...any meat will usually work..and yes if you get some peanut butter or any nut butter really they like as well.

Hmm...not sure, never tried it,but the obvious thing we seem to have forgotten here is rabbit pellets...they also love any kind of pet food, dog, cat, rabbit, chicken feed...all attract rats..you could also add nesting materials to this trap to attract them...cotton or fluff and string or dental floss etc..

I just read another post on here about someone having great success trapping rats using fish baked in butter and thought I would let you know.

You might talk to a veterinarian, because wild rats can carry diseases and insect pests. There are probably treatments that will help clear those up.

The rat looks really healthy and alert so I think I is okay and if the rats on the island I live on have a disease than my cats would already have it.

Not sure if this is relevant to you but this list a couple things rats in can transmit to people. Most prey animals are experts on hiding ilnesss until it's too late. Im not saying the rat you caught is ill or a carrier but just something to be mindful of. Most animals are born with parasites that's why you have to worm them at so some many weeks. Again I'm just suggesting to do tons of research. With the internet you literally have the world at your finger tips..
https://www.indexmundi.com/indonesia/major_infectious_diseases.html

Last edited:
Back