Rat Lung Worm?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czlhilo

Reaction score
I just got started with rabbits. I live in Hawai'i, we have a thing here called "Rat Lung Worm," kind of a pain. It's a microscopic nematode that causes a variety of issues in humans.
Part of the feed I give to my rabbits comes from the yard (grass, sweet potato vines, water spinach, banana leaves). Occasionally I'll find a "semi-slug" (a type of slug notorious for carrying and transporting RLW). I clean off everything from the what I give my rabbits, but there is the chance that there could be a vector left over (from the slime...).

Anyone have any experience with that and their rabbits? I'd been told that rabbits might get the parasite, but they're asymptomatic (as explained to me, they might get them, but won't get sick from them).

Thank you for your time!

<edited for grammar>

Last edited:
I do not have experience with this, but if you are concerned about it you could freeze or heat the food before giving it to your rabbits. it seems a bit silly most bacteria/parasites die from extreme cold or heat. I would suggest looking up what natural remedies can kill that specific parasite as well.

Slugs in all parts of the world carry such nematodes and deposit them on grasses. The deposits don't survive dehydration, as I understand it. This is one reason hay is dried before baling. I have a feeling that if the forage is gathered after the dew has evaporated it is likely safe.

Slug traps are easy (and fun?) to make. Simply lay a beer bottle on it side. You need to leave some beer it (what you do with the rest of beer is the fun part!). Slugs crawl in, have a drink, get schnockered, and drown.

Clean the foraged greens with vinegar and rinse I do this with all my fresh greens and fruits - for myself and everybody else. Definitely look into what kills that parasite. @hotzcatz is in your neck of the woods and maybe a little more helpful as she is extremely knowledgeable in rabbits. She also has a website that is pretty informative.

I just got started with rabbits. I live in Hawai'i, we have a thing here called "Rat Lung Worm," kind of a pain. It's a microscopic nematode that causes a variety of issues in humans.
Part of the feed I give to my rabbits comes from the yard (grass, sweet potato vines, water spinach, banana leaves). Occasionally I'll find a "semi-slug" (a type of slug notorious for carrying and transporting RLW). I clean off everything from the what I give my rabbits, but there is the chance that there could be a vector left over (from the slime...).

Anyone have any experience with that and their rabbits? I'd been told that rabbits might get the parasite, but they're asymptomatic (as explained to me, they might get them, but won't get sick from them).

Thank you for your time!

<edited for grammar>
so I found this site, which seems to indicate that vinegar is not sufficient, but that DRY slime is less of a concern. https://pharmacy.uhh.hawaii.edu/rat-lungworm-frequently-asked-questions

Given what I know about nematode infection, if these are pets I might just consider routinely dosing with levamisole. The trick would be to prevent the adult worms from ever reaching the nerves and brain of the rabbits, so much like a dog heartworm treatment, once it is there it is beyond treatment, but if you catch it early the juvenile worms will be expelled. [Effect of the anthelminthic levamisole on the first-stage larva of Angiostrongylus cantonensis in infected rats] - PubMed

If they are food animals I would cook thoroughly every part of the animals for humans, and if feeding raw to dogs I would not feed the central nervous system (brain/spine) or lungs/intestines. It appears the meat itself should be ok. You can treat a food animal with levamisole as well, this is usually found at feed stores as a goat wormer. Follow the reccomendations for withdrawal prior to harvest which should be on the container.

Back